Skip to main content

Jess Easley's Memories of Lebanon 07.11.12


Jess Easley’s Memories of Downtown Lebanon

I’m going back into Jess Easley’s book about early Lebanon to share some of his memories with you.  Jess was born in 1891 and died in 1983, and sometime around 1980 he recorded his memories of Commercial Street from 1896 to 1900.  The tapes were transcribed by volunteers at the Laclede County Historical Society but  the last time I checked the book was out of print.

The booklet is full of interesting details about life in Lebanon and its people at the close of the 19th century, details that only someone living here in that time period would know.

For example, Jess tells about a Racket store located on New Street which is the alley currently running west from Madison between the Knight Building and Wehner’s Bakery.  In Jess’ time it went all the way over to Jefferson and there was a two story frame building  facing Jefferson which housed a hotel on the corner.  The Racket store was located in one of three business rooms inside that building.

I had no idea what a racket store was but since unfamiliar words intrigue me, I researched and found  the name referred to a five and dime store, or variety store.  (It was about this time that Woolworth’s opened its ten cent store in New York City.)

In my growing up days in Lebanon, I guess one of the local racket stores would have been O’Neil’s Variety Store on W. Commercial.  I loved that place!  I need to do a column on it sometime, about the time school starts maybe, because that was my favorite store to buy school supplies.

But I digress.  Jess Easley goes on to say that a man by the name of  Buchannon owned the Racket Store on New Street back in his boyhood days.

Jess refers to a newspaper office just north of this two story frame building.  He identifies the newspaper as the Centinal operated by W.D. Cogle.  My research shows a Lebanon newspaper during that time period called The Laclede County Sentinel which was purchased by  H.B. Cowgill in 1881. 

The similarity in the names of the newspaper and the editor during the same time period would indicate they are one and the same.  I realize that in trying to tell these stories of Lebanon history I may sometimes raise more questions than I can answer, but one of my goals is to involve you readers who know more than I do about the  matter, and we can use our collective knowledge and memories to put together a more accurate history for future generations of Laclede County history buffs.

Jess describes a “hitching lot” about 100 feet square on the northeast corner of Jefferson and Commercial at the alley. Just east of it  there was a livery stable with a lean-to on each side running the full length of the building.  The lean-to on the east side contained straw and was used for keeping horses.  The lean-to on the west side was used by people coming into town from the country to stay a day or two.  They would drive into this lean-to area and park their wagons there.  They would actually sleep in their wagons, or anywhere in the barn they could find to bed down.

It seems like I remember reading in Jacob Blickensderfer’s diary about him using this livery stable to house his horse and wagon when he came to Lebanon to meet the train, kind of a fore-runner to  airport parking lots, I guess.

Jess also makes a brief reference to the Rice-Stix factory which aroused my curiosity.  I was raised by my grandmother, Nellie Dame, who supported us by working at Rice-Stix.

Jess says that Dr. Al McCombs lived in a square two story house on the corner of Adams and Commercial and when “they” built the Rice-Stix factory there, the McCombs house was bought by Ward Owen and moved to the corner of  Third and Washington and made into an apartment house.

I have done some research but have been unable to find out who “they” are who built the factory building (which was Reliance before it was called Rice-Stix, I think) and when it was built. I have not had time to check the H.D. Lee records to see if that information is available there. 

I had just started working for John F. Low in the early sixties when H.D. Lee began to negotiate with the Trustees for the Citizens of Lebanon who held title to the building, as I recall.  Mr. Low was heading up that project.  I believe he was President of the Chamber of Commerce at the time.

One thing I do remember is how I got initiated into the legal secretary business right away because I had the job of typing all the contracts and related documents for the Trustees.  I worked on an old manual typewriter at my desk just in front of Mr. Low’s office.  He would dictate all the documents and I would take dictation in shorthand then transcribe it, making an original and five carbon copies on legal size (8 ½ x14) paper.

If I made a typographical error it was usually easier to start all over with a clean set of six sheets of paper than it was to erase the error on all those sheets, so I would estimate I filled my wastepaper can full of trashed paper hundreds of times  during the process, which took over a month as I can remember.

I’ve often wondered how many times Mr. Low contemplated firing me just to save paper.
And I would also love to have that typewriter in my antique collection!

But I need to get back to Jess’ comment about the Rice-Stix building long enough to close this out by saying that I’m still looking for information about the building itself.  If any of you have information in that regard I would appreciate hearing from you.  My email address is joanrowdenhart@gmail.com and I’m on Facebook as Joan Hart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said