Skip to main content

The Beauty of Words

Straight From The Hart
By Joan Rowden Hart

In the April 18, 2012 edition of the Lebanon newspaper,  Associate
Judge Steve Jackson, speaking at the local Kiwanis club, is quoted as
saying:  “One branch of our government is the judiciary, but really it
is based upon words and concepts and ideas and principles that are in
written and spoken words.  We  live in a time right now when there has
never been a bigger danger to those principles because we have
students graduating every single day that can’t read or write.”

Judge Jackson added that people do not know the language well enough
to carry on this country.  “I think it’s very, very important that we
get a handle on this. If we go much farther, that’s going to start
becoming a real problem,”  Jackson said.

I wanted to stand up and cheer when I read that article because it
really struck a nerve  with me.  There are always exceptions, but most
young people nowadays seem incapable of communicating either through
the written or spoken word.  Even if they know the language, they
mangle it by mumbling instead of articulating it clearly.

Words are so incredibly beautiful, and I have always loved them, but
it was my favorite teacher,Veda Esther Smith, who  lit a spark that
has been an eternal flame  as far as my enjoyment of the English
language.  I even remember the first phrase she taught in class which
caught my attention, “pyrrhic victory”, and that’s been over sixty
years ago.

I was very fortunate upon graduating from high school to obtain
employment with a man who loved words and phrases as much as I do.
John F. Low was the consummate communicator, and taking dictation from
him stretched my brain cells about as far as they could go.

Both of us were also in agreement on spelling.  We had zero tolerance
for misspellings and typographical errors, and I still do.  There are
some misspelled words on signs around town that just make me cringe
every time I drive by them.

Mr. Low was often asked to speak at various organizations about the
etymology of words and phrases, and he and I would collaborate on
getting his speech together.   And if you think that sounds tedious
and boring, I can assure you that his speeches were always very
interesting  and full of humor.

Nothing is funnier than the English language, as in “A blackberry is
red when it is green”.

After his death, when I was doing lots of public  speaking, I was
occasionally asked to give similar speeches.

My favorite Sunday afternoon activity long before we had cable
television was to watch William F. Buckley, Jr. on PBS just to listen
to the words he used.

I have made it a lifelong habit to learn the origins of some of the
words and phrases we use.  One of my favorites is the word “sabotage”,
which came from the time when Europe was becoming industrialized, and
the workers who wore wooden shoes, or sabots, would throw them into
the machinery when they became fearful the machines would take their
jobs.

Back in the old days before incubators and warm hen houses, chicks
couldn’t be raised in the winter, and chicks born during the spring
brought a premium price during the summer.  But sometimes farmers
would try to pawn off a chicken from the previous season and buyers
knew from the tough meat that it wasn’t a “spring chicken”.  So now
anyone who is past the  tender age of youth is described as being no
spring chicken.

As a teaching preacher, I was always fascinated by the story of the
scapegoat found in Leviticus 16:8 where the Hebrew priests were to
take two goats, kill one for a burnt offering, and then take the other
goat, the scapegoat, symbolically bearing the sins of the people, out
into the wilderness and push it over a cliff.  To this day, there is
always someone, especially in the political arena, who is trying to
make somebody else a scapegoat.

Frontiersmen found that when the blade of an ax flew off the handle,
due to shrinkage or decay of the wood, that it was a danger to the
user and everyone nearby.  Now when we say that somebody flies off the
handle, we mean that everyone in the vicinity of their temper tantrum
stands to get hurt in some way.

In the early days of rural America, political parades were usually
held at night, with lots of noise and the carrying of torches.  When a
man carried a torch in such a parade there was no doubt but what he
was wholeheartedly behind his candidate.  Now we speak of an ardent
lover “carrying a torch” for the love of his life, exhibiting his
passion for that person.

In rural Europe, a person who was so poor they could not afford shoes
was said to have cold feet.  A gambler wanting out of a game would let
it be known that he had cold feet, signifying he was broke.  Now
whether you are talking about someone not wanting to go through with
their wedding, or planning to change jobs, etc. you say that person
got cold feet.

English doctors many years ago were not allowed to dissect a human
body unless it was that of an executed criminal.  So many physicians,
needing to know more about human anatomy, would only dissect one
cadaver during their entire career.  He prized the skeleton highly and
didn’t want to dispose of it, but public opinion would not allow him
to hang it where it could be seen.

So he would hang his prize in a dark corner of a closet.  But most
patients knew their doctor had a skeleton in his closet even if
neither he nor they ever mentioned it.   Now we use the phrase “a
skeleton in the closet” to indicate hidden evidence of any kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said