Skip to main content

Memories of Memorial Day published LDR May 24, 2014

Monday will be Memorial Day.  The mere mention  of the holiday generates
swirls of memories in my mind.  Our observance of the day has probably
undergone more changes in the seven decades I have lived than any other
holiday we have throughout the year.  Tradition tells us it started as a
way to honor the Civil War dead, but soon included all military graves, and
now we decorate the graves of friends and family, too.

Graves have been replaced by urns containing  ashes, and today many people
have memorial services instead of funerals.  I’m not making a judgment with
regard to that, just recognizing that once again things that were familiar
to me so long ago are becoming more rare today,  like the fact that it is
mostly the older generation who now decorates the graves.

My Grandma Dame always called it Decoration Day.  That was back when we
observed it on May 30, regardless of what day  of the week it fell on.   I
 dislike the fact that it was changed in 1968 to the last Monday in May and
I believe the importance and meaning of the day was diminished by the
change.

My first memories of the day centered around watching my Grandma spend cold
winter evenings making large flowers out of crepe paper of varied colors,
cutting and pleating and folding them meticulously before attaching them to
a piece of wire as a stem.

When we moved from the country to town in 1951, we gained a large yard on
the corner of Wood and Apple Streets.  My grandmother had the proverbial
“green thumb” and her flowers were the envy of the neighborhood.

On May 30 she would begin picking flowers early in the morning and bundling
them together so we could carry them to the cemetery. When it came to
fragrance, nothing could compare with peonies and roses and lilacs, but who
can ignore the beauty of an iris bloom?

Sometimes my Grandpa was able to drive us over to the City cemetery, but
sometimes we would walk -  my Grandma, my two younger sisters and I - from
our home in Old Town, taking short cuts to the cemetery where we met up
with family and friends and spent several hours there with the adults
visiting and all the children playing together.

Time changes things of course, and the beautiful fragrant floral offerings
of Decoration Day gave way to the artificially colored, longer-lasting but
fragrance-free  bouquets about the same time as we started calling it
Memorial Day and observing it on the last Monday of May.  It has never been
the same since.

Everyone seems to have a different perspective on death, some refusing even
to discuss it  because they feel it is morbid.  Others, like myself,
realize the truth that life itself is terminal, and we begin the dying
process the moment we are born so we might as well prepare for it as best
we can.  My mom and dad are still alive, but my 16 year old sister and 32
year old brother were both killed in traffic accidents, as was my beloved
stepfather at the age of 43.

I”m not able to get out and decorate graves anymore but my husband
continues to do that and then we take a drive on the evening of Memorial
Day so I can see the beauty of the cemetery.

Our roots go deep here in Laclede County and we have many generations of
family members to remember.  My husband’s great grandmother and my great
grandmother were friends long before either one of us were born and our
respective family histories go back at least 5 generations in these Ozark
hills.  Milan is the oldest of a family of 5 children and I am the oldest
of a family of 9 children.

I do a lot of thinking these days, reliving memories of past years while
anticipating my future home after my own death.  I am curious about what
heaven will really be like but if it looks like the green hills of Missouri
in the springtime with the redbud and dogwood in bloom, I will be happy!

People talk about Memory Lane as though it is a one way road but there is
actually two way traffic on the highway of our lives.  For each one of us
who is travelling into the sunset of life, there are many others going the
other direction heading into a hopeful future.

While I look back and remember giving birth and raising my daughter,
enjoying motherhood and being a wife, as well as spending about 45 years in
my busy professional life, my granddaughters are looking down the long road
I just came through, thinking about getting drivers’ licenses and  what
they will do after high school and college, wondering what life will bring
to them.

The fun part is pausing at different times and places where we meet up
along the way just to treasure the moment.

Sixteen years ago I held my first granddaughter in my arms just 15 minutes
after she was born.  Both of us were so different then than what we were
last Sunday as we gathered here for a belated Mother’s Day celebration.
 She will be 16 this month, and I too have changed much  since that time
which seems like just yesterday but also so very long ago.


 So the road we travel leads onward and upward for each of us albeit in
different directions.

We are now back to Memorial Day, appropriately named  because the day lends
itself to so many memories of loved ones gone and good times shared even as
we look toward the future and new memories. I love how gospel songwriter
Gloria Gaither put it:  “We have this moment to hold in our hands and to
catch as it slips through our fingers like sand.  Yesterday’s gone and
tomorrow may never come, but we have this moment today.”

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica