Skip to main content

JUST PICKING SAGE

Just Picking Sage, an original poem
Just Picking Sage
 
Sitting on my porch on an autumn afternoon;
Picking from the herbs that had been growing there since June;
Listening to the radio, they were playing my favorite tune;
But I was doing more than picking sage.
 
Memories of my Grandma over 30 years ago
Picking from my sage plants, when I didn’t even know
They were growing in my garden, right next to my fence row
I didn’t know a thing about picking sage
 
She brought the sage leaves in and carefully laid them out;
She assumed I wouldn’t bother them, never had a doubt
That I would know what to do with them, but I threw them out
Didn’t dream she would want the dried-up sage.
 
I never have forgotten the lesson I learned that day;
I took a lot of teasing about the sage I threw away
“It’s supposed to be dried out!” is what I heard her say
As she went out to pick some more sage.
 
So it wasn’t just the harvesting of the herbs that made me cry;
And it wasn’t the chives that grew there that brought a tear to my eye
And it wasn’t just the thoughts of turkey and dressing by and by;
That brought to me such joy while picking sage.
 
It was memories clearly photographed in some corner of my mind;
It was laughter and some joking as times’ video did rewind
It was family’s precious moments in the past that I could find;
While sitting on the porch, just picking sage.
Written by Joan Hart, October 12, 2002, Copyright 2002

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

  “Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age”..  (James Joyce) I’ve often been accused of being too passionate, of caring too much about certain things.  But I believe that  passion, also defined as fervor or zeal, is  one of the essential core values of human life, along with the Apostle Paul’s Biblical list of the virtues of faith, hope and charity.  Passionate people have strong opinions and usually articulate them very well.  We are also perfectionists, and we don’t handle incompetence in the public arena very well, all of which tend to preclude us from being the most popular person in the room.  I long ago accepted the fact that I won’t have the largest funeral in Lebanon, nor will my obituary make the front page. But not everyone seems to care that much about anything other than their own lives.  T.S. Eliot once said, “It is obvious that we can no more explain pas...

JOY OF READING

  JOY OF READING Written by Joan Rowden Hart I sit in my office and look at my treasure Stacked row upon row, the source of my pleasure There is wealth beyond measure everywhere that I look So many shelves, filled with book after book. So many words that tell so many stories So many volumes just full of God’s glory So many reminders of our history and then So many narratives of women and men Who have experienced life with all of its trials, And still write the words that will cause me to smile, Who have struggled with failure and rose up again And made me forget my own troubles and pain. So many thoughts, written with deep meditation Shared with those who will read with great contemplation Thoughts that I by myself could never create Are given to me in abundance so great Free for the taking, but not enough time To just sit and enjoy other’s thoughts so sublime. There’s so much to learn hidden deep in those tomes Of other men’s travels while we stay in our homes There is poetry and ...

COMMUNION ON THE MOON

Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. (Melody Beattie) Americans need a day dedicated to gratitude. I have noticed that in the lineup of most of our holidays that Thanksgiving is perhaps the one least given over to secularism - the one we still observe in a traditional fashion. We need it to keep our focus clear and to teach our children what it means to be thankful for family, friendship and faith. We need a time to gather around the table with extended family and enjoy turkey and dressing and gravy, two kinds of potatoes, cranberries, hot rolls, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and whipped cream. We need it, not for the calories, but to create an awareness that there are those who don’t have those blessings, because in the hectic pace of our everyday lives we tend to forget those in need. Family and food are important, but above all else, Americans need a rededication to our faith. Faith brought the pilgrims to the ne...