Skip to main content

JOY OF READING

 JOY OF READING

Written by Joan Rowden Hart


I sit in my office and look at my treasure

Stacked row upon row, the source of my pleasure

There is wealth beyond measure everywhere that I look

So many shelves, filled with book after book.


So many words that tell so many stories

So many volumes just full of God’s glory

So many reminders of our history and then

So many narratives of women and men


Who have experienced life with all of its trials,

And still write the words that will cause me to smile,

Who have struggled with failure and rose up again

And made me forget my own troubles and pain.


So many thoughts, written with deep meditation

Shared with those who will read with great contemplation

Thoughts that I by myself could never create

Are given to me in abundance so great


Free for the taking, but not enough time

To just sit and enjoy other’s thoughts so sublime.

There’s so much to learn hidden deep in those tomes

Of other men’s travels while we stay in our homes


There is poetry and mystery and beauty so rare

There are cookbooks and joke books, and this is my prayer

That I live long enough to enjoy them all

As I look at the bookshelves adorning my wall


So let me die happy with a book in my hand

As I cross that wide river to heaven’s fair land

As I breathe my last breath, let me take one more look

And say Please wait Lord while I read one more book.


©Joan Rowden Hart 2017


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

  “Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age”..  (James Joyce) I’ve often been accused of being too passionate, of caring too much about certain things.  But I believe that  passion, also defined as fervor or zeal, is  one of the essential core values of human life, along with the Apostle Paul’s Biblical list of the virtues of faith, hope and charity.  Passionate people have strong opinions and usually articulate them very well.  We are also perfectionists, and we don’t handle incompetence in the public arena very well, all of which tend to preclude us from being the most popular person in the room.  I long ago accepted the fact that I won’t have the largest funeral in Lebanon, nor will my obituary make the front page. But not everyone seems to care that much about anything other than their own lives.  T.S. Eliot once said, “It is obvious that we can no more explain pas...

ANNIE, THE CAT'S MEOW

  I first met Annie back in February 2004 after Milan told me to let him know what I wanted for for Valentine’s Day and he promised would get it for me no matter what it was. He has often joked that he should have have put some conditions on that. But he didn’t, and so I headed straight to the Humane Society animal shelter. It had been two long years since we had put our beloved Maine Coon cat to sleep, a big pile of what appeared to be nothing but fur, but had a huge heart hidden inside. We had named him Ollie in honor of Col. Oliver North who was our news hero at the time. I entered the cat compound at the Humane Society. There were only two cats inside, a brown tabby who ran to the other side of the pen away from me, and a little black and white girl who came running over to me and when I picked her up, she snuggled her head under my chin and began to purr. It was love at first sight. She was new there and they had not given her a name so I called her Annie. She was alway...