Skip to main content

COMMENCEMENT SPEECH

 THE COMMENCEMENT SPEECH I’VE NEVER BEEN ASKED TO GIVE

I have given several thousand speeches and sermons in my 25 years of pastoral ministry, including motivational and political presentations before I was ordained, but I have never given a Commencement address. That would have been a fun thing to do since I love public speaking even more than I do writing. It’s too late in my life now for such a thing, but here’s what I would say if I were doing it.
I would tell you to continue your education in whatever area you feel comfortable and/or challenged. Not everyone is suited for college, but this country also needs people who have graduated from trade schools like beauticians and mechanics and plumbers and electricians.
Six months of barber college qualified my husband to get a barber license, but it took many years of hard work and long hours to enable him to build a large customer base here in Lebanon. Now in his 57th year of cutting hair for some of his original customers and now their children and grandchildren, he still goes to work each morning with as much excitement as he did in 1962. You will notice I didn’t say “energy”, (at age 76) but definitely excitement. He has provided a very comfortable living for us and a college education for our daughter.
I regret not going to college. For several reasons, it was just not possible for me when I graduated from Lebanon High School in 1961. I loved being a student, and still do. I have never stopped learning, and that is a very important part of my advice for you.
I wish I could impress upon you the importance of passion. A doctor or a lawyer or any other professional will not take adequate care of you if they have no passion for what they do and also for your well-being.
Passion is the engine to keep you going through life, and an insatiable curiosity and hunger for knowledge is the fuel for powering that engine. You will never know everything but the journey of seeking to know will be worth it all.
Don’t forget the basics. There is a reason we use that word. Whether it is fair or not, people judge your level of intelligence by the way you write, whether you can spell, how you construct a sentence.
Always dress professionally and people will treat you as a professional. I received a flu shot a couple of years ago from a pharmacist who was wearing scrungy looking denim jeans and a baggy sweat shirt that didn’t quite meet his jeans in places and I was very uncomfortable with that. I didn’t want to create a scene but it certainly did not instill any confidence in me with regard to his professionalism.
If you dress or write or speak in a sloppy manner, you will project an image of a person who takes no pride in yourself and potential employers or business associates or customers will not want to do business with you.
Remember to treat everyone with respect and always do the right thing. Maya Angelou tells this marvelous story in her book “Letter To My Daugher” where she often talks about the civilities of life she learned from her grandmother.
She writes about going to Morocco as a young woman and visiting a village where she was welcomed by a group of elderly men. They were sitting on their haunches and she noticed roaches were crawling everywhere. She had been taught by her grandmother that it was not polite for a younger person to stand or sit taller than an elderly person, so she too squatted as best she could in a dress and high heels.
The men motioned to some women who were looking out the door of a little hut nearby and the women brought her a miniature cup of steaming hot coffee. As she swallowed it, she realized it had several roaches in it. To quote her from the story “...I could not spit it out. My grandmother would have pushed away the grave’s dirt and traveled by willpower to show me her face of abject disappointment. I could not bear that. I opened my throat and drank the cup dry. I counted four cockroaches.”
She then tells how she managed to leave the group and when out of their sight, she grabbed onto a wall where she was violently sick.
Some time after the incident she read a Reader’s Digest article about the various tribes in Morocco and some of the surrounding countries and how they live by the barter system. They swap goods for goods but they will spend their scarce money to buy raisins, and to show honor and respect to visitors they will drop a few raisins into a small cup of coffee.
It was only then she realized that what she assumed were bugs in her coffee were precious and costly raisins given to her as an honored guest of the tribespeople she had visited.. She was so thankful she had been true to her grandmother’s teachings.
I hope you are never confronted with making such a decision, but if I were giving a graduating senior advice for life, I would remind you that it never hurts to be kind and gracious and polite. I would urge you to be the generation which puts civility back into our civilization.
Remember where you came from. Your parents and grandparents sacrified much to bring you to this day. Chances are that if you were raised in this part of our great country, you were taught from early childhood to honor and obey God and to love your country and its flag. Those words might seem rather old-fashioned now, but the longer you live the more those early teachings will mean to you, and, like Maya Angelou, you will never forget them nor the people who taught you about them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica