Skip to main content

NATIONAL WOMEN'S CONFERENCE 1977 - Joan as delegate

AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN THE MAKING  


MISSOURI Document 139: "Delegates to the National Women's Conference" (Houston: National Women's Conference, 1977). 15 pp.



DELEGATES TO THE NATIONAL WOMEN'S CONFERENCE

The voices and faces of American women delegates to the National Women's Conference reflect the diversity of this country's female population. Self-descriptions of the delegates, ages 16 to 80, indicate a myriad of women's roles and occupations, There ane single and married women, mothers, daughters, and grandmothers. There are homemakers, working women, students and retired women. Delegations include a number of nuns, secretaries, teachers, nurses, lawyers, ministers, fadory workers, handicapped women, technicians, and women from urban, rural, farm and ranch areas of this country.



DELEGATES

Angie Bennett, Springfield

Joan Brier, Columbia

Shirley Clough, Glendale

Mary Gale Doyle, St. Louis

Mae Duggan, St. Louis

Karen Dukewits, Independence

Frances Freck, Kansas City

Mary Gant, Kansas City

Joan Hart, Lebanon********************

Donna H. Hearne, St. Louis

Mary Fran Horgan, St. Louis

Peggy Keilholz, Jefferson City

Adele Kelman, Clayton

Patti Kemp, Jefferson City

Delphone McLaughlin, Des Peres

Odile Mecker, St. Louis

Elaine Middendorf, St. Louis

Judith O'Connor, Bridgeton

Ann O'Donnell, St. Louis

Frances Noonan, St. Louis

Eline Rodriquez, Arnold

Jacqueline Schlef, Dellwood

Lucille Selsor, Oakville

Clare Simon, Florissant

Ann Slaughter, St. Louis

Louise Grant Smith, Clayton

Mattie C. Smith, Kansas City

Mary Treis, St. Louis

Eleanor Wasson, Sedalia

Vi Wilson, Kirkland



ALTERNATES

Wilda R. Worley, O'Fallon

Sue Shear, Clayton

DeVerne Calloway, St. Louis

Frankie M. Freeman, St. Louis

Joan Krauskopf, Columbia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

  “Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age”..  (James Joyce) I’ve often been accused of being too passionate, of caring too much about certain things.  But I believe that  passion, also defined as fervor or zeal, is  one of the essential core values of human life, along with the Apostle Paul’s Biblical list of the virtues of faith, hope and charity.  Passionate people have strong opinions and usually articulate them very well.  We are also perfectionists, and we don’t handle incompetence in the public arena very well, all of which tend to preclude us from being the most popular person in the room.  I long ago accepted the fact that I won’t have the largest funeral in Lebanon, nor will my obituary make the front page. But not everyone seems to care that much about anything other than their own lives.  T.S. Eliot once said, “It is obvious that we can no more explain pas...

JOY OF READING

  JOY OF READING Written by Joan Rowden Hart I sit in my office and look at my treasure Stacked row upon row, the source of my pleasure There is wealth beyond measure everywhere that I look So many shelves, filled with book after book. So many words that tell so many stories So many volumes just full of God’s glory So many reminders of our history and then So many narratives of women and men Who have experienced life with all of its trials, And still write the words that will cause me to smile, Who have struggled with failure and rose up again And made me forget my own troubles and pain. So many thoughts, written with deep meditation Shared with those who will read with great contemplation Thoughts that I by myself could never create Are given to me in abundance so great Free for the taking, but not enough time To just sit and enjoy other’s thoughts so sublime. There’s so much to learn hidden deep in those tomes Of other men’s travels while we stay in our homes There is poetry and ...

ANNIE, THE CAT'S MEOW

  I first met Annie back in February 2004 after Milan told me to let him know what I wanted for for Valentine’s Day and he promised would get it for me no matter what it was. He has often joked that he should have have put some conditions on that. But he didn’t, and so I headed straight to the Humane Society animal shelter. It had been two long years since we had put our beloved Maine Coon cat to sleep, a big pile of what appeared to be nothing but fur, but had a huge heart hidden inside. We had named him Ollie in honor of Col. Oliver North who was our news hero at the time. I entered the cat compound at the Humane Society. There were only two cats inside, a brown tabby who ran to the other side of the pen away from me, and a little black and white girl who came running over to me and when I picked her up, she snuggled her head under my chin and began to purr. It was love at first sight. She was new there and they had not given her a name so I called her Annie. She was alway...