Skip to main content

Cemetery Winds LDR column 05.23.12

Straight From The Hart
By Joan Rowden Hart
Reflections on Cemetery Winds.
For the rest of this week,  and over the holiday weekend, most of us
will  visit a cemetery or several of them.  Some will come bearing
floral sprays and vases to place on graves of loved ones.  Friends
will meet and greet, some will shed tears, but all will feel the
inevitable winds which seem to always blow through a cemetery.
Some time ago I stood in one of our local cemeteries,  and after
arriving back home, I went to my computer and wrote the following
reflections on my time there.

I enter the cemetery, and it lies silent before me.  The tombstones
stand as sentinels as if there is a need to protect the stories that
the upright stones would tell.
So I stand in the quietness of this place,  and while my eyes are
looking at dates and names and epitaphs, the ears of my soul are
straining to hear the hidden secrets of the lives of those whose bones
now lie beneath this sod.
The words “infant daughter” are covered with dust and gently brushed
by the tall weeds as the cemetery winds move across the stone.
Why is it there are always winds at the cemetery?  Is it God’s way of
reminding us that memories are ever present in the cemetery….that life
moves on even when the bodies of those who have lived are at rest?
I stand before the roughly hewed  stone and wonder about the infant
daughter. Was she the much desired baby of a couple who waited years
to conceive, only to deliver the tiny lifeless form to be carried to
the cemetery immediately after birth?
If so, then her tiny body would have held the hopes and dreams of a
lifetime; the cooing, nursing baby at breast;  the unceasing busy-ness
of a toddler caring for her own baby doll; the awkward nervousness of
a young woman on her first date; the virgin bride dressed in white on
her wedding day; the grandchildren who were never to be.  With what
sadness and grief this tiny grave would have been filled.
My eyes see in the distance a stone engraved with a heart pierced with
a Cupid’s arrow like you might see carved in a tree deep in the
forest; there are names there with birthdates and a wedding
anniversary, and the unique-ness of the dates of death, only a few
days apart.
Did this couple love so deeply that one could not contemplate life
without the other…and the grief was more than a heart, already
weakened by age, could bear?
What kind of love did it take to be soulmates for so many years when
so many other marriage vows were taken so lightly and forgotten?  What
bound this couple together through years of hard work, childbirth, and
sickness?
Then I see the answer as I stoop to brush away the hardened soil and
gravel which has been pressed against the stone’s base by the cemetery
winds; and the words of Fanny Crosby appear “Blessed Assurance, Jesus
Is Mine”.
There are other tombstones in this cemetery,    tombstones highlighted by
American flags;and the engraved dates speak of young men who died in
the prime of life, making the ultimate sacrifice for their country…
in World Wars I and II, and in the frozen snows of Korea, and the
humid jungles of Viet Nam; their American Flags waving bravely and
valiantly in the cemetery winds.
I see weather beaten tombstones, deteriorating with age.  I notice the
shiny, polished tombstones at the head of newly filled graves; red
clay dirt, still piled high, and covered with white baskets of fresh
flowers, now overturned by the winds, the cemetery winds.
Death knows no age, nor gender, nor race, nor ethnic background, nor
religious denomination.  It has come to every name in this cemetery as
it will come to each one of us, in due time.
And God’s Word says that each of us will bloom for a time and then we
too will fade away, as the grass in the field comes one day and then
the next day it  is gone, and no one remembers it’s place.
But people will remember us, whether for good or bad.
In years to come, strangers will look at our tombstones,  notice the
dates,  wonder about us;who we were, how we lived, how we died.  Loved
ones will stand where our bones will then lie and feel the winds, the
cemetery winds; blowing memories of us across their minds just  as
they blow the dirt across the mounds and use the tall grasses as
wind-held brooms  to sweep away the dust.
My mind snaps back to the present. My eyes sweep across the face of my
watch.  And I’m surprised to see that I’ve been in the cemetery for
only a short while, but many scenes have crossed my mind in just those
few moments;  memories of days past, acknowledgement of days yet to
come, all blown together by the winds, the ever-present cemetery
winds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said