Skip to main content

My Mother's Songbooks 06.06.12

My Mother’s Song Books

One of my earliest and fondest memories is watching my mom sitting at
the kitchen table  writing down the lyrics of her favorite songs in a
brown composition spiral bound notebook as she listened to them on the
radio.  Obviously it took many “listenings” for her to eventually
capture all the lyrics.

She had been doing this for years as a young teenager before I was
born and accumulated a big stack of those little notebooks you could
probably buy at the “dime store” in those days for a nickel.

My mom, who is only 16 years older than me, was born Wilma Lorea Dame
and now widowed as Wilma Lorea Ward, was married to Fritz Rowden when
Lois and I were born, and then to Clarence Lindsey, the father of my 5
handsome brothers.

Several years ago I asked her about the books and found out she had
thrown many of them away after my sister had transcribed them into a
computer program.  It took me a while to convince her it wasn’t the
lyrics that I wanted.  It was the old faded notebooks where she had
painstakingly recorded with an ink pen every word.

She had a few of them left and they are now some of my greatest
treasures, dating from 1941 through 1952.

I want to share some of these songs with you.  Let me know if they
bring back memories for you.

This one called Old Age Pension Check has a political element to it.
“ When our old age pension check comes to our door, we won’t have to
dread the poorhouse anymore.  Though we’re old and bent and gray, good
times will be back to stay, when our old age pension check comes to
our door.
When the old age pension check comes to her door, dear old Grandma
won’t be lonesome anymore.  She’ll be waiting at the gate, every night
she’ll have a date, when her old age pension check comes to her door.
There’s a man who’s turned this country upside down with his old age
pension rumor going round.  If you want to have some fun, send your
dime to Washington, and that old age pension man will be around.”

Here is another chorus:  “When it’s roundup time in Texas and the
bloom is on the sage, then I long to be in Texas back a-riding on the
range.  Just to smell the bacon frying, when it’s sizzlin’ in the pan,
drinkin’ coffee from a can.”

One of my favorites which is still sung by old time gospel quartets is
Little Pine Log Cabin:  “I want to see the children playing,  by the
weeping willow swaying,  hear my mother softly praying while the
mockingbird sings (so sweetly),  How my weary heart is yearning, just
to be again returning,  to the little pine log cabin at the end of my
dreams.”

Another one we still find in hymnbooks is “No Tears In Heaven”.
That’s been around a long time, too.

Other titles include My Radio’s Dialed To Heaven, Make Room In The
Lifeboat For Me, I Called and I Called But Nobody Answered, Sun Bonnet
Mother, Little Blossom, Carry Me Back To The Lone Prairie, After The
Ball Is Over and Only A Tramp On The Street.

Included in one of the books is the very first song I learned by heart
and was the first song I sang in church as a solo.  I was just a
little girl, but to this day I can still sing it by memory.  It’s
called the “Alphabet Song” with every letter of the alphabet from A to
Z  representing some facet of the gospel and salvation and Jesus’ work
on Calvary.

One song not in this book but which my dad still sings at church on
Father’s Day is “That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine”.  It always brings
tears to the eyes of everyone and especially to my sister and me
because he still has the most beautiful full head of snowy white hair
you will ever see.

As I look through my mom’s songbooks, the melodies of so many of them
come back to me although it’s been 60 years or so since I’ve heard
them.

Some of the titles, like the pension check, are quite humorous.  There
is Alimony Blues, You’re Going To Change or I’m Going To Leave, When
The Lightning Struck The Coon Creek Party Line, Letters Have No Arms,
My Bucket’s Got A Hole In It, and If I Could Learn To Yodel.

Then there is Saving Up Coupons, about cigar stores giving coupons,
with the line, “five million coupons is what my wife cost, I’d give 10
million more just to get a divorce”.

Many of the songs have the theme of a mother’s love and prayers.
Others deal with young love, and broken hearted  lovers,   and some
describe a life of waywardness before returning to the family and the
“old home place”.  And of course the hope of heaven after this life is
over.

People today would probably find them maudlin, but they speak of
values and memories of a day and time most of us would like to return
to, at least for a while.  But I’m sure no young person today would
give up her MP3 player or  iPhone or iPad long enough to sit and write
down every word of the music they listen to.

The last book I have is not filled completely,  and the last page in
it is dated 1952, which would have been about the time she married my
stepfather and began having little baby boys, so I’m thinking there
was little time to listen to the radio, let alone sit down and write
out the lyrics!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica