Skip to main content

Reflections on Aging

Reflections on getting older......

I turned 69 this year, and in addition to the aches and pains and
other "cons" of aging, there are some wonderful "pros".

For example, I have found that the sky won't fall in, and the world
will not end if you take the following advice:

You do not have to answer the phone if you are busy or if you don't
want to talk to the person, or if you don't have a clue who they are.
You do not have to answer a knock on the door if you are not expecting
anyone, if the person hasn't called ahead, or if you don't know them.
You do not have to continue to listen when a telemarketer calls.
Just quietly hang up.
You do not have to confirm every friend request on Facebook,
especially if you don't know them. Or maybe especially if you do.
You have the right to "unfriend" someone on Facebook if they insult
you, or constantly have a toxic attitude, or cause you to have a bad
day.
You do not have to hang around people you don't like and who don't
like you just for the sake of being polite.
You can take an afternoon nap, or even a morning nap, if you need it.

You can wear white after Labor Day.
You can wear a coat when you're cold no matter what the season is.
You can wear sandals all year long if if makes your feet feel better.
You can wear a wig if you want to. (There's no difference in wearing
fake hair and wearing a fake hair color, or fake color on your face,
your cheeks, your lips, your nails, your eyes, or boosting the length
or volume of your eyelashes. Give me a break.)

And yes, you CAN wear purple and red together!!!!!

Isn't aging an absolutely marvelous and freeing time of life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

  “Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age”..  (James Joyce) I’ve often been accused of being too passionate, of caring too much about certain things.  But I believe that  passion, also defined as fervor or zeal, is  one of the essential core values of human life, along with the Apostle Paul’s Biblical list of the virtues of faith, hope and charity.  Passionate people have strong opinions and usually articulate them very well.  We are also perfectionists, and we don’t handle incompetence in the public arena very well, all of which tend to preclude us from being the most popular person in the room.  I long ago accepted the fact that I won’t have the largest funeral in Lebanon, nor will my obituary make the front page. But not everyone seems to care that much about anything other than their own lives.  T.S. Eliot once said, “It is obvious that we can no more explain pas...

JOY OF READING

  JOY OF READING Written by Joan Rowden Hart I sit in my office and look at my treasure Stacked row upon row, the source of my pleasure There is wealth beyond measure everywhere that I look So many shelves, filled with book after book. So many words that tell so many stories So many volumes just full of God’s glory So many reminders of our history and then So many narratives of women and men Who have experienced life with all of its trials, And still write the words that will cause me to smile, Who have struggled with failure and rose up again And made me forget my own troubles and pain. So many thoughts, written with deep meditation Shared with those who will read with great contemplation Thoughts that I by myself could never create Are given to me in abundance so great Free for the taking, but not enough time To just sit and enjoy other’s thoughts so sublime. There’s so much to learn hidden deep in those tomes Of other men’s travels while we stay in our homes There is poetry and ...

ANNIE, THE CAT'S MEOW

  I first met Annie back in February 2004 after Milan told me to let him know what I wanted for for Valentine’s Day and he promised would get it for me no matter what it was. He has often joked that he should have have put some conditions on that. But he didn’t, and so I headed straight to the Humane Society animal shelter. It had been two long years since we had put our beloved Maine Coon cat to sleep, a big pile of what appeared to be nothing but fur, but had a huge heart hidden inside. We had named him Ollie in honor of Col. Oliver North who was our news hero at the time. I entered the cat compound at the Humane Society. There were only two cats inside, a brown tabby who ran to the other side of the pen away from me, and a little black and white girl who came running over to me and when I picked her up, she snuggled her head under my chin and began to purr. It was love at first sight. She was new there and they had not given her a name so I called her Annie. She was alway...