Skip to main content

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL MEMORIES, Published in LDR Aug 14, 2014

As I write this, I am up against my deadline, trying to think what to write this week.  I don’t know which came first - my tendency to procrastinate until the last minute, or the fact that I’ve always worked best under pressure, but it is a combination of both that have defined my working life over the years.

This has been a week of extremes in so many ways, and the television images of  violence, tragedy and human suffering beyond comprehension have overwhelmed me, both physically and mentally.  

So when I opened this morning’s paper and read about the start of a new school year, I decided to take a completely different route this week and meander down memory lane with you, sharing stories with which many of you will probably identify.

It was 1949 when I headed off to school.  I don’t remember the first day although I have a cute picture of me holding my little metal lunch  box, which I am sure would be worth a fortune today if I still had it.

But I do remember the following days in the one-room country school in Washington district, where Ruth Garrett was my teacher.  Every morning I walked by myself through a wooded area surrounding my rural home to get to the road.  I’m sure it wasn’t far, but it seemed a long ways to a little 6 year old girl who had never gone anywhere in my life except to town  on Saturday mornings with my  grandparents as most farmers did in those days..

My grandfather Everett Dame built a stile for me to get over the fence which surrounded our property and down onto the  gravel road which eventually led  to the school house.

I don’t ever remember being scared but it was a different time and place in Laclede County back then.  We were not subjected to news reports of children being abducted and/or molested.  There was very little traffic on that road, and not many families even owned a car, so I rarely encountered one on my walk to school.

I loved school and I loved learning, and I really loved the experience of learning to read.  I’m aware that most educators now say that the Dick and Jane books which were used at Washington School did not teach phonics but mainly employed the “look-say” method of reading, but I can assure you that Ruth Garrett and my second grade teacher at Washington, Thelma Prescott,  went outside the box and taught phonics even from the Dick and Jane series.

My earliest memories are sounding out words as I tried to read everything I could get my hands on.  I remember picking up some kind of newspaper with the word “wasn’t” on it and how that intrigued me.  It was different from what I had seen before and I took it to my mother immediately.  

My mom, who is only 16 years older then me and was denied the privilege of going to school beyond the eighth grade, is a very intelligent woman even now in her 87th year, so she recognized a teachable moment when she saw it, and she explained the use of contractions to me.

Going to school also revealed another quirk in my personality, that being that I am extremely addicted to paper, whether it be notebook paper of every size, or writing tablets, or little notepads.  Early on I especially loved the little 3x5 tablets bound together in stacks of different colored paper.  I actually hoard paper, to the distress of my family and friends, and I have boxes of notepads to prove it just in case stores ever  cease to sell them.

During Christmas of 1950, we moved into town and settled into a house at  the end of Wood Street where it intersected with Apple Street, and when school started after the Christmas break, my mother walked with me to that beautiful old Adams Building which those in my generation remember so well, and enrolled me there to finish the second grade.  It was the first of many long walks twice a day for her until I learned the way by myself because it would be another year before my sister would join me as she started the first grade there.

And for the rest of my school years until graduation in 1961, I eagerly awaited the beginning of each new school year as we received a “sale flyer” in the mail from the John O’Neil store on the west end of Commercial featuring all the school supplies we could want.

Other girls shopped for new school clothes each fall, but since my grandmother sewed all the clothes for my sisters and me, I concentrated on school supplies, lingering for a long while looking at Big Chief tablets, and pencils and erasers,  jars of white paste (remember that  smell?), pencil sharpeners and scissors, protractors and rulers,  notebooks and notebook paper, and of course the special lunch bucket where the small thermos nestled in one end.

I don’t know what the rest of you ate, but my mother was obsessed with Vienna sausages.  (She still is, much to my horror, but at least I don’t have to eat them now.)  But occasionally I had a cold fried hotdog on a  slice of white bread,  and of course the old standby  baloney.  Not bologna and not Oscar Meyer but just plain no-name baloney.  

But the real treat was the little chocolate Hostess cupcake with the fudgy frosting and signature white squiggles on top.  I have since found out they don’t taste nearly as good now as they did back in the 50’s.

Thank you for taking this trip down memory lane with me and yes, you will still find me each August maneuvering my way in the slow moving electric cart at Walmart to look at all the school supplies and buying another notebook or two and a package of new ball point pens.  Old habits die hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said