Skip to main content

SEEKING JUSTICE FOR THE JUSTICE Published in LDR October 11,2014

Seeking Justice For The Justice

Just when you think there couldn’t possibly be any more room under the bus for the president  to throw another political dissenter, it looks like the administration is thinking about trying to squeeze somebody else under there, someone about the size of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  

The White House has been hinting strongly  through its numerous minions that it is time for Ginsburg to retire.  After all, she could die any day they reason, due to her ripe old age of 81, and they are saying she should be loyal enough to the president and his party to get out of the way so this president can appoint a younger person who has the potential to carry his liberal banner many years into the future.

In a recent interview with Jessica Weisberg in  the lifestyle magazine “Elle”,  the Justice said “Who do you think President Obama could appoint at this very day, given the boundaries that we have? If I resign any time this year, he could not successfully appoint anyone I would like to see in the court. The Senate Republicans took off the filibuster for lower federal court appointments, but it remains for this court. So anybody who thinks that if I step down, Obama could appoint someone like me, they’re misguided.”

So the tiny justice, who stands just barely 5 feet 1 inch tall, has let it be known she isn’t going anywhere.

And you know what?  I agree with her absolutely and entirely.  So why am I, being the staunch conservative opinionist that I am, defending the most liberal female justice on the Supreme Court?

Well, life is not always about politics.  I believe there is a mentality out there that treats people when they reach a certain age as if they are no longer intelligent, nor rational, nor capable of making decisions  just because of their age.  And I resent that.

Apparently the Justice feels the same way as she continued in the Weisberg interview:  “As long as I can do the job full steam,  I think I”ll recognize when the time comes that I can’t any longer.  But now I can.  I wasn’t slowed down at all last year in my production of opinions.”

That mentality also is reflected in how our society has now come to assess the life value of a person.  The ObamaCare legislation is a perfect example.  I’ve researched that law and found that it contains some very chilling restrictions with regard to age.  Whether you blame it on a doctor shortage, or call it a death panel or rationing or end of life management, the fact is that in a few years, notably 2017, more provisions of the law will come into play that will make it more difficult for senior citizens to obtain necessary health care at the very time that they need it the most.

It is reflected in the massive scandal which has almost consumed the Veterans Administration where our oldest and sickest veterans have been ignored just because staffers feel they are too difficult to deal with.

It is reflected in an increase in rudeness toward older people out in the public arena.  Yes, we may move more slowly physically and our mental processing may take a little longer but that doesn’t mean our intellect is not just as sharp and in most cases it means that our wisdom is even greater.

I remember the day about  4 years ago when a Lebanon businessman accused me of being “senile” because I was having trouble finding my keys at the bottom of my purse while I was in his place of business.  Seriously?  Yes, seriously. 

In a recent interview with USA Today, Justice Ginsburg said she is the “hardest working justice” on the Supreme Court today.  And she told Marc Tracy in a New Republic article that “I think one should stay as long as one can do the job.  Can you think as well?  Can you write with the same fluency?  At my age you take it year by year.  I’m OK this year.”

Steve Benen, a political writer and a  producer for the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC is one of those calling for her to resign, even going so far as to say that “by deferring retirement, the liberal Supreme Court justice is taking an enormous risk - with the court’s future, with the nation’s future, with our future, and with her own legacy.”

So why are Benen and many others in the president’s inner circle of advisors trying to push this Supreme Court Justice off the cliff?  

The President doesn’t think he owes her anything.  She was Bill Clinton’s appointee, not Obama’s,  but he owes Attorney General Eric Holder a lot.  New Jersey Superior Court Judge Andrew Napolitano put it this way:   "Every time that Barack Obama has bent, broken, avoided or evaded the Constitution or federal law, Eric Holder has been at his side, cheering him on, providing intellectual cover and purporting to give him legal advice authorizing what the president wanted to do."

It is my opinion that the president would like to reward his friend with an appointment to the Supreme Court but if that should ever happen Holder would do major damage to our Constitution.  That opinion is based upon the following facts, together with many other similar actions and statements.

In 2008, Eric Holder claimed that the Second Amendment does not protect an individual’s right to keep and bear arms,

In Holder’s opinion, Islamic terrorists had a right to be treated as criminal defendants and not enemy combatants.

He refused to call the Fort Hood shooting an act of terrorism and instead referred to it as workplace violence, and it looks as if we are going to see the same about the Oklahoma beheading.

Are you worried yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said