Skip to main content

Memories of Kay 1948-1964

Lois and I posted a memorial picture and poem about Kay in today's LDR in case you get a chance to see it. I had to tweak it a little bit and shortened it a lot to make it fill the newspaper spot, but here is the poem in its entirety:
It seems like only yesterday,
That day you went away.
But 50 years have passed since then
And we’ve missed you every day.
Your pretty smile with the bluest eyes
We never will forget,
We know God had a plan and so
We trust His wisdom, yet
The memories come and linger on,
Like a slide show in my mind.
Though you were with us only 16 years.
The video frames unwind….
The games we played on Wood Street
Hitting hedge apples with a stick,
Lighting firecrackers under a tin can
And running away so quick.
Practicing our songs around the old piano
Sibling harmony so sweet,
So we would have a “special” to share each Sunday
In the church on Taylor Street..
The night your boyfriend smashed an egg
Between his palms, but then
It broke although he said it wouldn’t.
The egg round the room did spin
Until it hit the kitchen wall
Where the wallpaper so newly hung
Absorbed the egg and left a spot;
We all knew we were “done”.
But Mom forgave you anyway
Although Lois and I both knew
‘Twas only because you were the baby
Of our little family crew.
There was no doubt you’d have a leading role
When Milan and I were wed
And you were the prettiest maid of honor
As down the aisle you led.
Beautifully dressed in autumn gold
With bronze mums in your hand.
How could we have known that one year later
Your casket there would stand
Where we had pledged our wedding vows,
We now told you goodbye
I placed my hand on your hand
While tears filled my eyes.
November comes and I think of you
And the day you went away
And February 19 arrives each year
And always a special day.
I was too young then to remember your birth
But I remember the years of your living
And I know some day I will see you again
At a sisters’ reunion in heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

  “Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age”..  (James Joyce) I’ve often been accused of being too passionate, of caring too much about certain things.  But I believe that  passion, also defined as fervor or zeal, is  one of the essential core values of human life, along with the Apostle Paul’s Biblical list of the virtues of faith, hope and charity.  Passionate people have strong opinions and usually articulate them very well.  We are also perfectionists, and we don’t handle incompetence in the public arena very well, all of which tend to preclude us from being the most popular person in the room.  I long ago accepted the fact that I won’t have the largest funeral in Lebanon, nor will my obituary make the front page. But not everyone seems to care that much about anything other than their own lives.  T.S. Eliot once said, “It is obvious that we can no more explain pas...

JOY OF READING

  JOY OF READING Written by Joan Rowden Hart I sit in my office and look at my treasure Stacked row upon row, the source of my pleasure There is wealth beyond measure everywhere that I look So many shelves, filled with book after book. So many words that tell so many stories So many volumes just full of God’s glory So many reminders of our history and then So many narratives of women and men Who have experienced life with all of its trials, And still write the words that will cause me to smile, Who have struggled with failure and rose up again And made me forget my own troubles and pain. So many thoughts, written with deep meditation Shared with those who will read with great contemplation Thoughts that I by myself could never create Are given to me in abundance so great Free for the taking, but not enough time To just sit and enjoy other’s thoughts so sublime. There’s so much to learn hidden deep in those tomes Of other men’s travels while we stay in our homes There is poetry and ...

ANNIE, THE CAT'S MEOW

  I first met Annie back in February 2004 after Milan told me to let him know what I wanted for for Valentine’s Day and he promised would get it for me no matter what it was. He has often joked that he should have have put some conditions on that. But he didn’t, and so I headed straight to the Humane Society animal shelter. It had been two long years since we had put our beloved Maine Coon cat to sleep, a big pile of what appeared to be nothing but fur, but had a huge heart hidden inside. We had named him Ollie in honor of Col. Oliver North who was our news hero at the time. I entered the cat compound at the Humane Society. There were only two cats inside, a brown tabby who ran to the other side of the pen away from me, and a little black and white girl who came running over to me and when I picked her up, she snuggled her head under my chin and began to purr. It was love at first sight. She was new there and they had not given her a name so I called her Annie. She was alway...