Skip to main content
 You will notice this is dated in 2012. Facebook sent it to me this morning to remind me what I had written back then. Although I have often referred to Kay's death in my writings, this one goes into detail about what happened that night but also sets forth how and why our family handled it and other tragedies we have had, including a word study on happiness contrasted with joy.

On the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving in 1964, just a week after Milan and I had celebrated our first wedding anniversary, we were at the Taylor Avenue Church of God practicing with the youth for our Thanksgiving service to be held the next night.
We received a phone call at the church for Milan and me to go immediately to my grandmother’s home because something had happened to my youngest sister, Darella Kay Rowden, then 16 years of age and a junior at LHS.
We arrived only minutes before Dorsey Howe, who sadly informed us that Kay had been killed in an automobile accident out on East Hwy 32, and her best friend, Beverly Cole, who was in the car with her, had been seriously injured.
Our Thanksgiving was less than “happy” that year, but I learned a lesson I have never forgotten. As human beings, our sometimes shallow perception of happiness is usually based on words related to being happy such as happenings, mishap, and happenstance, all implying something external to us but that affects us whether for good or bad.
The death of a beloved sibling had happened, and it was an unfortunate happenstance, so we were not happy.
But you know what? We still had joy in our thanksgiving that year, because joy comes from deep within, like the old children’s song “I’ve got joy like a fountain”, an expression of gratitude and peace and assurance bubbling up from our inner being.
Joy is permanent. It cannot be affected by what happens to us externally. It doesn’t change with day to day happenings, which do affect our happiness from time to time.
The distinction we noticed between happiness and joy that year was apparent when we had God’s joy in our hearts even in our sadness about Kay’s death. But we were made happy on Thanksgiving Day when my sister, Lois Rowden Cook, gave birth to a lovely little girl with strawberry blonde hair. She and her husband Frank named the baby Toni, and many of you know her today as Toni Pitts Morris and she blesses you with her musical talent at many events around the county every year.
So we celebrated Thanksgiving with joy in 1964, knowing that Kay was safe in heaven with Jesus because of the promises given to us by our Resurrected Saviour that being absent from the body means being present with the Lord.
The beautiful body we had to bury on Friday after Thanksgiving Day was only the home in which Kay had lived for sixteen years, a home she no longer needed because she was in her heavenly home by then.
I had been the worship leader for several years at the Taylor Avenue Church of God and some friends and family members suggested the following Sunday that I might not feel up to leading the music because of my grief.
But here’s where that irrepressible and everlasting joy came in again. I knew the joy of Christian hope even in the unhappiness of losing my sister, so I began the song service that Sunday morning with a Heritage Hymn of the Church of God which says “Have we any hope within us of a life beyond the grave in the fair and vernal lands? Do we know that when our earthly house by death shall be dissolved, we’ve a house not made with hands? We have a hope within our souls, brighter than the perfect day. God has given us His Spirit and we want the world to hear it, all our doubts are passed away.”
Many times in the past 48 years I have had occasion to reaffirm the fact that our joy is everlasting, even when we cannot be happy about what’s going on around us.
The death of my stepfather Clarence Lindsey ten years later in a freak car and pedestrian accident, and the loss of my brother Denzil Lindsey who was killed by a drunken driver just months after his honorable discharge from the U.S. Navy, as well as losing my beloved grandmother, Nellie Dame, to cancer in 1984, all brought home again the fact that what happens to us has no effect on the joy we have within our heart.
So no matter what is happening in your life or home or family this week, you can still celebrate the true meaning of gratitude for all we have and for the joy you have in your heart if you are a believer in Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica