Skip to main content

EARLY SCHOOL YEARS MEMORIES published 12/31/16

Sixty-six years ago this week, a drastic change occurred in my life.  At least that’s how it seemed to me then.  Over the Christmas holidays in 1950, my family, consisting of myself and two younger sisters, my mother, and my maternal grandparents moved from a farmhouse out in the country into  a two story white stucco house in Old Town at the corner of Wood and Apple Streets.  

I was seven years old and I didn’t know whether to be scared or excited about changing to a new school.

I had started school in a one room country school in the Washington School District with Ruth Garrett as my teacher.  I loved her and also Thelma Prescott who taught second grade.
My grandfather walked with me to that school the first couple of days and then I was left on my own to walk through a wooded area to a gravel road which took me to the school.  

The biggest obstacle was getting over the fence that ran between our property and a ditch that bordered a gravel road.  My grandfather built a wooden stile with three steps up on our property side and three steps down to the road on the other side.  When they were covered in snow I learned to brush the snow off so I could climb them.

Walking to school in town seemed to be so much easier, but in looking back now I think I actually had a longer walk from the farthest end of Wood Street to the Adams School Building than I did on the farm, especially when it included a side trip to the library on Harwood.

I walked into my new school at the Adams Building the first day after Christmas break and saw all the girls lining the long stairway carrying a new doll they had received for Christmas.  I didn’t get the email about that so I didn’t know I could bring my doll and I felt out of place.
The boys all brought their shiny new toy guns, by the way.

My mom always fixed my lunch  and my memory is that we ate at our desks.  I got a new lunch box at the beginning of school and even if I only carried a banana in it once,  it would always smell like bananas.  Remember?

There wasn’t much variety.  My mom loved Vienna sausages (and still does) so I had no choice but to love them too (or go without lunch).  But sometimes she would fry a hot dog, or make a fried balony sandwich,  or maybe just plain tuna fish.  Everybody’s sandwich buns always looked the same in those days whether you had a hot dog or baloney or tuna fish.  It was a plain slice of white bread out of the sack from the grocery store, or maybe a cold biscuit split in half.  If we didn’t have the usual cookie and banana, we would get those little chocolate cupcakes as a special treat.  You know, the ones with white cream in the middle and white squiggles on top of the chocolate icing.

The entire school from first grade to senior high was on that one campus and it was an open campus.  We could come and go where and when we pleased without asking permission as long as we got back in time for class. So when my class met in the Washington Building,  my mom would give me lunch money and I would cross Washington Street and go to the “Candy Store” and buy a burger or some kind of sandwich with chips.

When we were older, we would go across the street to the Triangle and buy lunch.  For less than a quarter, if I remember right, I could get a large sack of greasy homemade fries and a bottle of grape “pop”.  Those were the best fries ever and if you offered me some today I would give you a ten dollar bill for three of them.  They were that good.  I’m sure glad we can’t get them like that today, my cholesterol would go off the chart.

I received an excellent education on that campus and I loved every minute of learning.  All the writing skills, spelling, and rules of grammar that many of you compliment me on today were taught in those buildings.

However, my most dreaded class was physical education.  The teacher did not like me and the feeling was mutual.  That was my only bad teacher experience in all of my 12 years of school.   Remember that I walked many blocks to and from school each day.  The last thing I needed was more exercise.  And if you are a regular reader of my columns you have already picked up on the fact that I dislike sports of any kind.  If I have any interest in them at all, it is the most intense form of disinterest.  I’m sure that stems from the compulsory attendance and participation in “gym class”.

My purpose in school as I saw it was to read every book I could get my hands on and learn everything possible about every subject imaginable (except sports).  So anything that took me away from time spent in reading or studying was wasted time to me.  Not only did I enjoy it, but  it kept me highly competitive in my grades, so I didn’t need the sports involvement for the thrill of competition either.

I realize this is not normal for most students but it has worked for me all my life.  Those habits made me successful in four different careers over my lifetime and I do not yet know the meaning of the word “bored”.  (Except in gym class!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said