Skip to main content

RIDING THE TRUMP TRAIN as published in Lebanon newspaper on 12/03/16

Eating crow is not very pleasant but it can be tolerated if your only other option is starvation. And that’s where I found myself in the recent election. It is no secret that I got on board the Trump Train at the very last moment. I liked where it was going from the start, the scheduled stops along the way, i.e. his pro-life stand and his support for the 2nd Amendment, his strong belief in our capitalistic system, his business knowledge and acumen, his support of our military and his belief in a strong national defense, his belief that people of faith have a right to practice their faith without interference from the government. But I didn’t like the way he drove the train - the quick brakings that shook everyone up, the crazy exits over to a side track before coming back on the main line, and the constant questions about whether he even knew the way at all. But when he brought Mike Pence on board as the second conductor, I thought maybe it was safe to get on, too. Like many others, I got on the train so I could ride with Pence, a man of faith and integrity, with a calmness about him that managed to cover Trump’s blustery antics to some extent. But back to my basic premise. I knew that not voting at all was a vote for Hillary, and that was anathema to me. Some of the things Trump said were shameful and unsettling and rude. But when I got bogged down in the dirty mire of them, all I had to do was remember that Hillary Clinton supported the murder of innocent babies, that she would take my hard earned money that would be forcibly taken from me by the IRS in the name of taxes, and use it to set up Planned Parenthood facilities where tiny bodies with the full potential for life would be cut up and sold for research purposes. And what made it worse was that it was not enough that she supported these things from the beginning, but that she doubled down on them during this campaign, taking an even stronger and more wicked position. So, like many Christians in this nation I prayed that God would guide this train and bring it safely to the correct destination on November 8. And He did. I am pleased with the way things are going so far. I like the man with the strange name, Reince Priebus. He was loyal when taking a stand was not easy, and he was rewarded for that loyalty. I have problems with the possibility of Mitt Romney as secretary of state and I’m glad I don’t have to make that decision. I think we would end up dealing with two “alpha males” and while that usually takes care of itself in the animal kingdom, I’m not sure we want to watch it play out in the White House. On the other hand, the fact that they are meeting together shows that Donald Trump can put his personal feelings aside for the good of the country if necessary, and it also shows a forgiving spirit. I like that in a man. Over the years I have been a major observer of people. And I have noticed that the people (of both genders) who speak out quickly, and sometimes rashly, are the ones who are the first to admit they were wrong, or to extend grace in a loving manner if the other party was wrong. As I write this on Friday morning, I have been very impressed with General Jim Mattis whom Trump has chosen for his Secretary of Defense. He has been called a “closet intellectual”, a man with a library containing 7000 books, all of which he has read and studied over time and continues to do so. It has also been reported that after he retired, he spent two weeks driving across the country visiting the families of the soldiers who were killed while he was in command. And as to the issue of whether Congress will agree to let him serve in that position when he has not been retired for the requisite number of years, who ever came up with that dumb idea in the first place? I am not a military strategist, but I am a thinker, and I have always thought that someone with first hand experience as a military leader would be much more qualified to serve as the head of the Pentagon (or as President) than a civilian who knows nothing about such things. If we needed further proof of that fact, just look at our current Commander-In-Chief! I’m thankful for a president-elect who has enough sense to know what he doesn’t know, and find the right people to fill in the gaps. Representative Tom Price is a good pick for Health & Human Services. He appears to dislike the Obamacare fiasco as much as I do. But he also knows how to fix it. He is an orthopedic surgeon and has been working on a replacement proposal a long time. I like Trump’s choice of Betsy Devos who is the head of the American Federation for Children, and unlike HIllary Clinton who calls herself an advocate for children, Ms. Devos is pro-life. She also believes parents should have a choice when it comes to the education of their children, especially those who are unable to home school for whatever reason, and so she supports charter school education and the use of school vouchers. (And since I’m writing for a local readership, I want to say here that I believe Lebanon is blessed with great schools and very caring teachers but this is not always true in other parts of the country.) There is much more to come in the days ahead as we watch to see how the President-Elect’s plan for the country falls into place and how his world view continues to develop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica