Skip to main content

HOW DO YOU CATCH A CROW? Published in Lebanon newspaper 01/28/17

This year is not starting out the best for me!  Last week I had to confess to making several mistakes in my accounting of Lebanon history, and this week I am “eating crow”.  Yes, I was one of those Republicans who didn’t think Donald Trump could ever be nominated, let alone elected.  And I had grave doubts about his qualifications and ability.

I was really in a quandary. I knew the Democratic candidates were absolutely not an option, for many reasons, including but not limited to the need to preserve the integrity of the Supreme Court and the sanctity of human life.  There were several  to choose from on the Republican ticket.  Donald Trump was not one of them.

Then came the convention, and I was trapped.   I hasten to clarify here that I had no problem with any of Trump’s stated policy positions.

I knew he didn’t have a racist bone in his body.  There was too much evidence out there to the contrary.  I knew he wasn’t a misogynist or a sexual predator.  You had only to look at all the women he employed in his companies to figure that one out.  

Of course he doesn’t like, and won’t condone, radical Islamic terrorists of any shape or form, but that doesn’t mean he is anti-Muslim per se.  And the only immigrants he is opposed to are those who come here illegally.

He certainly isn’t anti-Semitic.  His  son-in-law is Jewish and they are raising Trump’s grandchildren in a Jewish home.  And if you don’t know by now that he would trust his life, his fortune and his sacred honor to Jared Kushner, the husband of Ivanka, you haven’t been paying attention.  And we all know how grandparents are, those little ones are the most precious part of the family, so prejudice against Jews just isn’t a part of Trump’s personality.

But I just couldn’t get past the blustering, and the bragging, and the constant need to tell us how great he is.  This all made me cringe, and still does, including the present debate about the size of the inaugural crowds or the so-called massive voter fraud.  He isn’t perfect and I’m trying  to accept the fact he is just that way and it has apparently worked out well for him.   And I have come to realize that all those things that bothered me so much may have just been a part of his strategy to win.

But when I would get so annoyed at him,  my mind would go  back to a moment in one of the early debates when I caught  a glimpse of who I now know is the real Donald Trump.  

In that debate the moderators called out the names of the candidates and one by one they made their way on to the stage and over to their podium.  Dr. Carson’s name  was called and he didn’t come out.  The TV cameraman switched over to show us the scene where the candidates were standing, waiting to be called.  Dr. Carson was standing back there, clearly confused as to what he should do.  He started to walk onstage but then another name was called and he moved back closer to the curtains.  He told the press  later there was so much noise out front that he didn’t hear his name called.

When he didn’t come on out, the moderator continued to call the others, and one by one they came, passing Dr. Carson on the way, without acknowledging him at all.  Trump was due to be called as the last one so he was standing there at the edge of the curtain and when he saw what was happening to Dr. Carson, he moved closer to him, putting his hand on his arm, and smiling.  When Trump’s name was called, he motioned for Dr. Carson to come with him and together they walked on stage and to their respective podiums, thus saving Dr. Carson from any further embarrassment.  It was a real show of friendship and affection, even before it blossomed into the President naming him to his cabinet this week.

And so I voted.  And I do not regret my vote.  The inaugural address was beautifully powerful,  full of lyrical phrases which really appealed to me as a writer, but at the same time reflected a sincerity that I have not heard in political speeches in a long time.  Also, I was deeply moved by the patriotic spirit that was present, along with several references to God as the protector of our nation.

Every day since then has  opened up a new opportunity for us.  In just seven days we have seen major changes take place with regard to government, and new possibilities for changing the course of our country.   For the first time since the March For Life began after the Roe v. Wade decision in 1973, we saw the White House participate in this annual massive show of support for the protection of unborn babies.  Vice-President Mike Pence makes us proud in every appearance and public statement he makes.

It is my hope and prayer that President Donald Trump will mature in office.  Some presidents do.  And the quality of the men and women he has chosen to surround him in cabinet positions and as Counselors in the Oval Office give me a sense of assurance that the President will receive good guidance and advice, even in the midst of his flaws and human weaknesses, and, yes, the constant use of Twitter.

So this weekend I am setting some traps (or whatever you do to catch a crow), and getting out my crockpot.  I hear that crow really isn’t that bad when you cook it slowly for hours and serve with a heaping helping of mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica