Skip to main content

Perils of Joan and Keys

 The Perils of Joan and her Keys

I was born in the State of Infancy, grew up in the State of Poverty, and it appears I will die in the State of Confusion.


 As a young person, I always wondered what old people do when they retire. They always seem so busy but I couldn't figure out why. Now I know. They spend all their time hunting things they lose or forget. (I'm not retired, but I'm old, and it still works that way.)


 I have never had a good relationship with Keys. Keys on a piano and the key any given song is written in - I can handle. But keys that unlock doors and cars are my bugaboo. Take today for example, oh, why not just take the last week.


 It all started last Thursday night. I grabbed the church van key out of my keybox near the door and laboriously made my way half a block down past my house, hobbling along with my cane to make sure I didn't fall, only to find once I got there that I had the wrong bunch of keys.


 Made my way back to the house, but the bunch of keys I needed was nowhere to be seen.


 I now had a dual problem....no key with which Lessa could drive the van to Bennett Spring Church, and no key to hand over to Darla so she could clean the church the next day. (I keep all church keys on the same keyring.)


 I called Darla because she had last used my keys to clean the church 2 weeks ago and I knew she had given them back to me, but hoped she would remember where I put them. That's what I pay her for, her good memory. Unfortunately, she was a few days older now and SHE couldn't remember what purse I was carrying when she returned the keys to my purse 2 weeks ago. I see I need to adjust her wages.


 Somehow I found a set to use but can't remember where - I am thinking I went to the barbershop and got them from Milan.


 After the service I called her and asked her where she wanted me to put the keys so she would have them Friday morning. She told me to drop them off at her house and put them in her mailbox on her porch so she would have them early that morning. So after Leesa brought me home, she drove down to Darla's house, less than a block away and put the keys in her mailbox on her porch.


 It had been a busy week and I had great delusions (it turned out) that I could sleep in on Friday. The phone rang at 7:30 am. (not my idea of sleeping in). It was Darla. She said, "I'm standing on your porch looking in your mailbox for the church keys and they are not there."


 In my Christlike and pastoral voice (I am Darla's pastor, after all) I said, Leesa left them at your house last night.


 I had forgotten how much Darla had aged in the last 2 weeks because she said "Is that what we decided on? I thought I told you to leave them in your mailbox." So much for sleeping in! :-(


 Fast forward to yesterday. When I did my annual cleaning on my desk, I found my set of church keys.


 Now for today. My car is in Lynn's body shop. (He has one bay reserved for Oakland Heritage drivers.)


 I was trying to get my Avon order in by the 11 a.m. deadline. I did as much as I could at home last night and this morning but still had some orders and books at the store, so I drove the church van up to the store, being very careful to take along my house/car keys, too, so I could get into the store, and back into the house. I was so proud of myself for remembering that.


 I went into the store, loaded up the stuff I needed, took it out to the church van, then went back in to get my purse. Locked the door behind me, jumped into the van, then realized I had left my phone inside the store. (By the way, I lost my phone twice last week, too.)


 I jumped out of the van, unlocked the store, went in and checked and couldn't find my phone. I called it from Milan's phone, didn't hear it ring so knew it had to be out in the church van after all.


 I went back out to the church van, only to find I had absentmindedly locked it behind me a minute ago and guess where my van keys were? I didn't know. I only knew they weren't in my purse and they weren't inside the store.


 I asked Milan if he had his set with him. No. Why would he need church keys at the barber shop? But he handed me his truck keys and told me I would have to drive it home.


 Fine. But the I realized that wouldn't do me any good because the stuff I needed to upload my order to Avon was now securely locked inside the church van. I had no reason to go home.


 I decided to dump everything in my gigantic purse onto my desk there to search one more time for the church van keys. I didn't find them but I found my house keyring, and my store keyring, and a strange ring of keys I had never seen before and didn't have a clue where they came from.


 I took them in to Milan to see if he recognized them. With as much patience as he could muster (there were customers in the barber shop, after all) he looked at me as a father would look at a totally helpless child and said, "Jo, those are my truck keys which I just gave you a few minutes ago."


 With that, he jerked them out of my hand, almost as if he suspected I might lose them immediately. Whatever made him think that?


 So I called Lois and asked her if she was coming to town soon and if so would she bring me HER set of church van keys.


 She is used to this, and with a deep sigh, said she would be there shortly.


 When she came, she looked in the church van and couldn't find the keys there, so after I put up a $50 bond, she gave me her keyring so I could drive home, and left.


 I went back into the shop, looked everywhere, couldn't find the keys, so decided to look one more time in the church van. Hopped up into it (you've never seen me hop with a cane?) and there they were....in the cupholder on top of the console between the 2 front seats.


 Nanananananana...she's as bad off as I am.


 One more time in the store to check on all keys, and cell phone, and finally out to the church van for the drive home.


 I am worn out. I still don't have my Avon order done and it's 3:35. But Darla and I did get 2 fresh strawberry cakes made in the interim.


 And that's the real "Key" to my success - a week's supply of sugar!!!!!

©  Joan Rowden Hart 2005



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said