Skip to main content

INDEPENDENCE DAY QUOTES AND NOTES

 


If you like American history, here are some quotes I found in research when I was writing a column for Independence Day. These are in no particular order, but like the column I posted earlier today, they are not always taught in school
Manifest Destiny - (research,)
Washington in Farewell Address: Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens.
Free gov't was not to be led by men and women free of religion.
Washington said he could "trace the finger of God through those dark and mysterious events" that gave rise to the United State of America.
Tocqueville described the Puritans as "the scattering of the seed of a great people which God with His own hands is planting on a predestined shore".
John Jay (Federalist papers, Sup. Court Justice): saw the "design of God" in birth of America.
John Adams considered the settlement of America "with reverence and wonder....as a design of God for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of slavery all over the earth".
John Winthrop, first governor of MA, declared America a "city upon a hill" provided that "we shall not deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken, and so cause Him to withdraw His present help from us."
O Beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years, thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears.
Deuteronomy 4:9
Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;
Deuteronomy 4:23
Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee.
Deuteronomy 4:22-24 Deuteronomy 6:12
Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
Deuteronomy 6:11-13
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. John Adams
Thomas Jefferson: "....can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of a people that these liberties are of the gift of God?"
Jeremiah 18: The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying: 2 “Arise and go down to the potter’s house, and there I will cause you to hear My words.” 3 Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was, making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make.
5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 6 “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter?” says the LORD. “Look, as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you in My hand, O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.
Declaration of Independence:
Winter of 1775 England declared war upon the colonies.
First week of June 1776,majority of Congress in PA still hoping for a miracle of reconciliation with their home country.
Felt themselves incapable of waging war against the mightiest army in the world.
Knew their lives would be on the line and they could all be hung.
Knew anyone who signed a document of independence would be held personally responsible and the penalty for rebellion against the King of England was death.
13 separated and individualistic colonies were barely united in anything.
But some decisions had already been made.
May 10 - town hall meeting in MA voted unanimously for independence.
May 15 Virginia convention voted for independence.
June 7 received documented evidence of the treaties that the King of England had made with German mercenaries to fight against the Americans.
Richard Henry Lee of Virginia formally proposed that Cong. made a declaration of independence stating that these united colonies are, and of a right ought to be, free and independent states. John Adams seconded the proposal. After a day's debate Cong. adjourned for 3 weeks to get the representatives go home and sound out the will of their constituents.
Franklin, Adams, Sherman of Connecticut, Livingston of NY, and Jefferson of Virginia hurriedly drew up a draft.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal......we, therefore, the representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the World for the rectitude of our intentions, do in the name and by the authority of the good people of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare that these colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States.....and for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor.
June 28: Maryland voted for independence. New Jersey dismissed her old delegates and appointed new ones who were instructed to vote for independence.
July 1, Congress entered the "greatest debate of all", according to John Adams. Delegate from PA, Dickinson, spoken eloquently and at length, against independence, followed by long and thoughtful silence. Adams kept hoping that someone "less obnoxious than himself" who was believed to be the "author of all the mischief" would rise to answer. No one did.
Then Adams stood up and said:
Before God, I believe the hour has come. My judgment approves this measure, and my whole heart is in it. All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope in this life, I am now ready to stake upon it. And I leave off as I began, live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration. It is my living sentiment, and by the blessing of God it shall be my dying sentiment, Independence now and Independence forever!
Door opens. Dr. John Witherspoon, head of N.J. delegation.
Gentlemen, New Jersey is ready to vote for independence. In our judgment, the country is not only ripe for independence, but we are in danger of becoming rotten for the want of it, if we delay any longer.
Vote was taken, 9 of 13 colonies voted for independence. PA and SC voted no, and NY abstained. Delaware had a tie, one delegate no, the other yes.
Any decision on the Declaration had to be unanimous. Debate would resume next morning, with vote to be taken afterward.
In meantime, word was sent to Dover Deleware to their third delegate who could break the tie, Caesar Rodney.
Rodney was a patriot, but had been summoned home on urgent business.
Express rider arrived at his farm at 2 a.m. with news the debate would resume in 7 hours, with vote to follow.
Rodney mounted his best horse and started out into the pitch black stormy night for the 89 mile ride to Philadelphia, muddy roads, streams had become raging torrents, rain had turned one portion of the road into a muddy quagmire so deep he had to dismount and lead his horse through it to avoid it's being crippled.
Rodney arrived at the State House at 1 p.m. just as the final vote was being taken. Half carried into the assembly room and barely able to speak: "As I believe the voice of my constituents and of all sensible and honest men is in favor of independence, my own judgment concurs with them. I vote for independence."
Delaware deadlock was broken. PA and SC voted with him, and NY abstained. The decision wass 12 to none. The 13 Colonies had just become the United States of America!
Silence followed as the late afternoon sun broke through the tall windows, on a brass candlestick staning on a green felt table covering, a carved eagle over the door, a pair of spectacles laying on a polished desk.
The magnitude of what they had done began to weigh on them. They realized that they and their countrymen were no longer Englishmen but citizrens of a fledgling nation barely a few minutes old.
Many stared out the window. Some wept openly. Some bowed their heads and closed their eyes in prayer.
John Hancock broke the silence: Gentlemen, the price on my head has just been doubled.
Then Samuel Adams rose. We have this day restored to the Sovereign God to whom alone men ought to be obedient. He reigns in heaven, and from the rising to the setting sun, may His Kingdom come.
John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail: "...this day will be the most memorable in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations, as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward, forevermore.
You will think me transported with enthusiasm, but I am not. I am well aware of the toil and blood and treasure that it will cost to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these states. Yet through all the gloom I can see the rays of ravishing light and glory. I can see that the end is worth more than all the means."
Valley Forge 1777
Constitutional Convention 1787
Crossing the East River
( 1-2 God told Jeremiah, "Up on your feet! Go to the potter's house. When you get there, I'll tell you what I have to say." 3-4So I went to the potter's house, and sure enough, the potter was there, working away at his wheel. Whenever the pot the potter was working on turned out badly, as sometimes happens when you are working with clay, the potter would simply start over and use the same clay to make another pot. 5-10Then God's Message came to me: "Can't I do just as this potter does, people of Israel?" God's Decree! "Watch this potter. In the same way that this potter works his clay, I work on you, people of Israel. At any moment I may decide to pull up a people or a country by the roots and get rid of them. But if they repent of their wicked lives, I will think twice and start over with them. At another time I might decide to plant a people or country, but if they don't cooperate and won't listen to me, I will think again and give up on the plans I had for them. )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica