Skip to main content

Daddy's Birthday

 My dad died 4 years ago today.  He was 96 years old and he died just two days after I had my 76th birthday.   He was born at Brice Missouri in January 1923.  Brice was situated near the Dallas and Laclede County lines and close to the Niangua River.  The name was changed from Brice to Bennett Spring when the State bought the land from the Bennetts and began to build a  state park in the 1920s and 1930s.  Old-timers still call it Brice sometimes and to my dad it was always Brice.  (And yes that is why we have a Brice Street in Lebanon.)


My dad whose full name was Francis Herschel Rowden, preferred to be called Fritz.  He was married to my mom, Wilma Lorea Dame on November 9, 1942 and I was born on August 27, 1943.  My sister, Lois Rowden Nichols, was born in 1945 and shortly thereafter my parents were divorced and my mom took us home to live with our maternal grandparents, Everett and Nellie Dame.


So I missed out on knowing my dad for several years, seeing him rarely because he lived in northern Missouri most of that time.  In 1969 we made contact again and when I became pastor of the Oakland church in 1999, he and my stepmother moved back to Lebanon and became active members of that church where my mother also attended.  My sister and brother-in-law also moved back to Lebanon about the same time and we all enjoyed attending church together.  The divorce had occurred over 54 years ago so it was similar to a familiar TV ad about a clean up crew in that it was “like it never even happened.”


My dad loved to sing and his instrument of choice by then was the dobro guitar.  I have faint memories of him playing the steel guitar many years ago.  My brother, Kenny Lindsey, took a leave of absence from his own home church for a while to help us out with the music and my dad found great pleasure in singing with him and Luke Lewis (who passed away recently).


His favorite song was “In The Garden” but he liked all the old hymns.  As a young man he had a thick shock of red hair but as he aged it turned to a beautiful shade of silvery white, and it became a Father’s Day tradition that he would sing “That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine”, a country song written by Gene Autry and made famous by Johnny Cash.


He and my step-mother, Dorothy, volunteered at the Hughes Center, helping serve at the buffet dinners and visiting with others his age.  He often entertained at other Senior Centers in this area and loved to sing and play music with my sister and her children, Toni Cook Morris and Frank Cook and other family members.


My dad had a prodigious memory throughout most of his life.  He wrote extensively about growing up in Brice and living in  Lebanon.  I have used several of his stories when writing my history columns and will continue to do so.  I am so glad he left these written narratives.  Had he not done so, a very large account of how life was lived by the Rowden and Smith  and Burns family ancestors here in Laclede County especially in the first half of the 20th century would be lost forever.


© Joan Rowden Hart 1976


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica