Skip to main content

First Day of School Junior High

  

Shared with Your friends
Friends
Today's LDR column:
Straight From The Hart
Joan Rowden Hart
About 55 to 60 years ago, at this time of the year, I was really in my
element. It was time for school to start and I was always so excited.
It had nothing to do with new clothes. I remember the first time I
became aware that some kids bought new clothes for the beginning of
school. I was in the Joe Knight drugstore with some of my friends
where we were having a coke after registering for school at the junior
high.
Some other girls came in and were showing off all their new clothes
and shoes. I remember thinking that was rather shallow since it had
nothing to do with my perception of the first day of school.
So it wasn’t about clothes. It was about school supplies, especially
notebooks and paper.
I enjoy Marie Brown’s “Stoutland Tidbits” column which appears in the
Wednesday paper along with mine each week. I don’t know her, but
sometimes I think we must have been twins separated at birth – we seem
to have so much in common!
Last week she wrote about her excitement of getting ready to go back
to school as a teacher and how it was all about “getting the stuff”,
gathering up the pencils and paper,etc. For me, too, getting ready
for the start of school as a student was always about the paper and
other supplies.
Back in those days, there were no printed lists available showing what
the teachers expected us to have. There were no Wal-Mart employees
moving everything in the store around to accommodate stacks and racks
and boxes filled with school supplies, and frustrated parents and
demanding children arguing back and forth about what was needed vs.
what was wanted.
But there was a little variety store on Commercial Street just west of
Medley Drug which mailed out a folded flyer showing 4 pages of what
they had to offer in the way of school supplies and I eagerly
anticipated receiving this flyer from year to year.
I’ve had a little difficulty coming up with the name of this store.
In later years it was O’Neils’s Variety but sometime before that it
was Osborn’s, and I haven’t been able to determine just when the
transition took place so I’m not sure where the flyer came from.
I pretty much wore that flyer to shreds just looking at it and
drooling over the tablets and notebooks and packages of clean white
lined paper (I always thought the narrow lined paper was so pretty)
and pencils, erasers, rulers, and the brownish bottles of “mucilage”
with the rubbery top which you pressed against the paper to make the
glue come out.
There were the little white jars of paste that smelled so good and had
a tiny spatula so you could spread it to keep papers stuck together.
And the lunch pail with the vacuum bottle that was held inside by a
metal clamp tucked in with a can of Vienna sausages and saltine
crackers. Vienna sausages were always a good bet because they
wouldn’t spoil by noon. I’ve often wondered how long it would have
taken them to actually “spoil”, if ever, and how could you tell? (I
never ate another Vienna sausage once I got out of school, but I
still love fried hot dogs with mustard on white bread, which was an
alternative lunch item once in a while, although I prefer a hot dog
bun now.)
And occasionally for a treat the chocolate cupcakes with the chocolate
icing and the white icing lined across the top, and the glob of
marshmallowy stuff in the middle. They were so good then, just don’t
taste nearly as good today to my grown-up palate.
But it always came back to the paper in every form, loose-leaf, Big
Chief tablets, little lined notebooks spiral bound, and those pretty
stacks of about five multi-colored pastel notesheets all bound into
one little 3x5 notepad.
I’ve always loved writing paper. It is a form of security blanket for
me. If you stepped into my office today you would find notebooks of
every size and shape stashed all over the office. Some are beginning
to yellow with age because I don’t use them To use them would mean I
might run out of paper sometime and for me that would be disastrous.
When my grandmother worked at Rice-Stix, the office girls there would
throw away perfectly good printed forms which they no longer needed
and I would beg for them to take home. They had the added bonus of
carbon sheets inserted to make several copies and I thought that was
the neatest stuff ever. I didn’t realize you could actually go to the
store and buy packages of carbon paper.
I never used any of the Rice-Stix paper because I wanted to keep it.
I left it in an upstairs closet when I got married and moved out and I
have no idea what ever became of it. I have a feeling my Grandmother
Nellie Dame threw it out before I was back from the honeymoon!
Today I have the privilege of a large home office completely separate
from the rest of the house and stocked better than Staples and Office
Depot put together. I never dreamed I would ever be so lucky. Filing
cabinets and desks and office equipment galore, paper and notebooks
and telephones and more. And now that I am retired I pretty much live
in my office, just enjoying every minute of it.
But I still get nostalgic when late summer comes around and I see all
the school supplies everywhere. I don’t need any of them so I have to
discipline myself to just stay away from the stores where they are
sold because when it comes to paper and pencils and ball point pens, I
have no defense against the temptation.

©Joan Rowden Hart 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said