Skip to main content

NEWSPAPERS AND SHELVA

I remember the first newspaper I ever read. I was in the first grade and just learning to read and I picked up a newspaper somewhere in our home to try to learn to read better. The article contained the word "can't" and I was totally stumped. I hadn't seen that one in the Dick & Jane book at school. I took it to my grandmother who told me what it meant and that it was a contraction as she used my question as a teachable moment. From that moment on, I was hooked on newspapers and newspaper clippings and it is an addiction which continues to this day. If you don't believe me, just come visit me sometime. There are newspapers in every room, on every table, under the bed and you would probably have to move one or several to find a chair to sit in. I got to the point where I let them stack up, threw a tablecloth over them and used them as a lamp table. I can't bear to throw them away until I have read them and obviously I will never get that done. I have stacks and stacks of Lebanon and Springfield papers which contain my column and I can't bear to part with them. There is a funny family story in all this which my brother-in-law (Shelva) has never let me live down. When we moved to Washington St from Viewland, we had a large chest freezer out on the back porch and it was very heavy. We had family members helping us move and there was no way I could supervise it all. At the end of the day Shelvie, as we call him, as complaining to me about having to move that heavy freezer and wanted to know what we had in it. Newspapers, I told him. I thought he would kill me right then and there. I tried to explain to him that I read once that if you don't keep your freezers full, they won't stay cold very well. And since I had all these newspapers saved and no where to put them, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and I had stashed all the newspapers in the freezer to keep it running well! This is not where we came up with the phrase "news too hot to print". The possible complete demise of the daily/weekly newspaper makes me very sad. We have already lost so many of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

  “Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age”..  (James Joyce) I’ve often been accused of being too passionate, of caring too much about certain things.  But I believe that  passion, also defined as fervor or zeal, is  one of the essential core values of human life, along with the Apostle Paul’s Biblical list of the virtues of faith, hope and charity.  Passionate people have strong opinions and usually articulate them very well.  We are also perfectionists, and we don’t handle incompetence in the public arena very well, all of which tend to preclude us from being the most popular person in the room.  I long ago accepted the fact that I won’t have the largest funeral in Lebanon, nor will my obituary make the front page. But not everyone seems to care that much about anything other than their own lives.  T.S. Eliot once said, “It is obvious that we can no more explain pas...

JOY OF READING

  JOY OF READING Written by Joan Rowden Hart I sit in my office and look at my treasure Stacked row upon row, the source of my pleasure There is wealth beyond measure everywhere that I look So many shelves, filled with book after book. So many words that tell so many stories So many volumes just full of God’s glory So many reminders of our history and then So many narratives of women and men Who have experienced life with all of its trials, And still write the words that will cause me to smile, Who have struggled with failure and rose up again And made me forget my own troubles and pain. So many thoughts, written with deep meditation Shared with those who will read with great contemplation Thoughts that I by myself could never create Are given to me in abundance so great Free for the taking, but not enough time To just sit and enjoy other’s thoughts so sublime. There’s so much to learn hidden deep in those tomes Of other men’s travels while we stay in our homes There is poetry and ...

LEARNERS

 LEARNERS People who love to learn don’t depend only on classrooms or professors. They seek answers for every question, their minds are always clouded with ‘how’ and ‘why’. They have innate desire to please their inner curiosity and dig deeper until their thirst for answer quenches. What would you call such a person? What would be a suitable expression or word for a person who has passion for searching, researching, learning new things and acquiring immense knowledge. Someone who questions everything, consistently look for answers and in turn learn with deep understanding.  Autodidact According to Oxford Dictionary it means “A self taught person.” Formed out of English word Auto (self) and Greek word didact (teach). In other terms, someone who has acquired knowledge or learned a subject without seeking help from a teacher or formal education institution.  Philomath According to Merriam-Webster it means “A lover of learning: scholar” especially a student of mathematics. ...