Skip to main content

Thoughts of Heaven

 Do you like gemstones? They are my favorite form of “bling”, and I have several because my husband loves to give me gifts for every occasion, and gemstones, especially the colorful ones, are his gift of choice, and my gift of “receiving”.

God loves them, too because He decorated heaven with them. John the Revelator was so mesmerized by them when he was given a vision of heaven that he wrote about them extensively.
John describes the foundations of the walls of heaven as if they appear in layers, one stacked on top of the other. If so, the beauty would be too awesome for words. I have a few rings where different gemstones are mounted in a cluster and they are mind-boggling in their extravagance.
John says the first foundation is made of jasper, a beautiful reddish brown stone usually set as a cabachon. The next layer is sapphire. Sapphire comes from the mines in a variation of colors.
Chalcedony is a form of quartz, a translucent stone in colors of white and gray and blue but comes in other colors, too as we shall soon see in the following paragraphs.
The fourth layer is emerald, a form of beryl, and usually in a brilliant and bright green color. Stacked on top of the emerald is a layer of sardonyx, a stone similar in composition to the chalcedony. It is also reddish-brown. Sardius is red and goes by the name of carnelian.
Chrysolite is otherwise known as peridot, or olivene. This is my birthstone and when I was young I thought it was very ugly, but I had only seen it in the “dimestore” version. When I saw my first faceted real peridot set in gold, it took my breath away. Chrysolite or peridot tends to be a yellowish green, as opposed to the true green of the emerald.
Beryl is a comprehensive term for many notable stones, including emerald. Also aquamarine and morganite. Morganite is one of the most expensive stones trending in jewelry right now - a beautiful sparkling color reminiscent of peach and coral.
Topaz is number nine in the layers of gemstones as we climb our way up the walls of that city. Topaz is usually colorless but as brilliant and sparkling as a diamond and is often used with other gemstones as a substitute for the diamond. It does come in colors also.
The 10th layer is chrysoprasus and is often mistaken for emerald. It is the most valuable stone in the chalcedony family. Jacinth is the eleventh layer and is mined in yellowish and orange colors. I can tell you from experience that an orange gemstone is the epitome to me as a ring setting.
The top layer of the wall is an amethyst, which is a variety of quartz, and is a brilliant purple or violet color.
John tries to describe the wonders of heaven in words to which we can relate, thus the use of gold to describe the streets of the city.
One of my favorite heaven “jokes” tells of the rich man who was determined to “take it all with him” when he died. He packed a briefcase full of bars of gold and managed to sneak it into the city, but St. Peter stopped him at the gate. The man explained that he something very rare and special to bring into the city with him. St. Peter opened the briefcase and a look of astonishment came over his face. “Asphalt”, he cried. “You think we need more asphalt in heaven?”
The golden streets mentioned by John are described as so pure they were like transparent glass.
My favorite part about John’s description of heaven are the gates of pearl. Pearls are organic, which makes them different from gemstones. Pearls are formed inside mollusks such as oysters and mussels. They are formed when an irritant such as a tiny stone or bit of sand gets inside the mollusk's shell. A lustrous substance, called nacre, is secreted around the object to protect the soft internal surface of the mollusk.
Pearls speak to us of suffering, undergoing trials and tribulations, (the irritants of life, so to speak), walking through times of darkness, sickness and even death.
Heaven’s gates of pearl remind us that we only enter heaven by passing through times of suffering - difficult times and stressful life situations. We leave that all behind us as we pass through those beautiful gates and the promise of no more sickness, nor death, nor pain, no sadness of any kind. There is a great lesson in those gates.
All the gemstones John writes about also have great meaning and significance but for purposes of this lesson, I won’t go into greater detail here.
As my health has failed and the final chapter of my life is being written, I have given them all to my daughter and granddaughters so they can be enjoying them, but I will not miss them even now when I don’t go anywhere to wear them because I know they are nothing but pieces of glass when compared to the real treasures of heaven I shall inherit, and I look forward to living in a city within the walls of gems beyond compare. And I can’t wait!!!
@Copyright Joan Rowden Hart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica