Skip to main content

Our Marriage

 National Marriage Week started the 7th and runs through Feb. 14. I am going to re-post some of the things I have written over the years. Feel free to post some of your own.

Milan and I have a family secret. We are not who you think we are! We have public and private personas and many times we reverse them.
I got to thinking about this when I noticed this morning how much he now enjoys going to Farmers Market so much. When it first started, he had no enthusiasm about it however, now he loves to go and I was reminded about how our personalities conflict in some ways and unite in others. So this is a true blog post with probably a limited audience, certainly won’t be interesting to most people on here. But that’s the nature of a blog - very personal but at the same time, pretty dull and boring.
Looking at us from the outside, most of you know me as being very opinionated and outspoken, always talking or writing, perfectly willing to tell you everything I know and probably more than I know. I love being in the limelight. In a social group I want to be the leader, the public speaker, in church I want to be the Sunday School teacher, the preacher, the singer, the pianist - not all at the same time, but at least one of them in any given service. I want to be the bride at the wedding, the clown at the circus, and the corpse at the funeral. You probably see me as the quintessential extrovert.
You know Milan as being the reserved one in the marriage, softspoken, never saying anything controversial, always on the back row, never wanting to be recognized, and intensely disliking speaking in public. You probably see him as an introvert.
But when we revert to our true personality, I am the introvert. I love being at home, preferably alone and definitely with only Milan or immediate family. I detest small talk. I don’t enjoy having people just drop in to visit. I don't like parties and I'm not a joiner. I never get cabin fever during bad weather (or a pandemic). The only reason I am so active on Facebook is because I can control my part of the discussion. I can post, or not, and I can do it only when I want to. I respond when I want to, or never if that's how I feel.
I dislike chatting on the phone and only make telephone calls when I have to and usually just for business purposes. I want to be left alone with my books or my writing and don’t like to be interrupted.
Milan is the one who likes to visit and talk to people. That's why he loves to work and can't bear to think of not getting to visit with his customers on a daily basis but he only likes to talk with them in person, not on the phone or the computer. He is saddened at the death of so many of his customers and friends but he enjoys meeting old friends and relatives at funeral visitations and will stay around until he has a chance to visit with everyone he knows.
He likes visiting with people he sees when he goes shopping, or Farmers Market, and he loves going to Walmart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and all the antique stores and flea markets.
He too dislikes talking on the phone so I have to take care of all our business when it involves the phone. He only likes dealing with people in person. He refuses to even turn on the computer. He doesn't like electronic gadgets. I love them. He refuses to use a smart phone and is afraid his analog digital flip phone will break and he can’t find another one. He gets very annoyed when businesses only have digital coupons because he loves saving money and looking for bargains but he won’t get a smart phone so he can use digital coupons.
We are united in our dislike of movies on TV or in a theatre, or anything resembling a movie. We don’t like to travel and we don’t like to leave our home for vacations or stuff like that. We love our home. It is so cluttered and messy we won’t even let company in but we have everything we ever wanted, and some items several times over, and we would never leave our home and its comforts to sleep in a tent on a riverbank somewhere. Or even in an air conditioned RV!
We both love to cook, and eat out only when we have to. We have never had a desire to take a vacation. Back in the days when we felt like it, we loved going to all kind of church services and events. But generally speaking, we love staying at home and both of us work on something, even if its nothing but scrapbooking, when we are home. And of course we love our daughter and son in law and are intensely proud of our beautiful granddaughters which we have always spoiled rotten (and still do.)
We are big fans of Southern Gospel Music, with a little side of the 50s sometimes. We like Republican politics and Milan is even more conservative and has less patience with liberals than I do. We watch Fox News usually but we also enjoy antique road show and the “Pickers” and cooking shows.
So how have we stayed married all these years and enjoy each other’s company so much? Well, our church has priority in all we do and governs everything we do and we agree on our faith. Back when I was preaching he supported me in every way as long as he didn’t have to come up front and take part. He loved working with the children and in the kitchen.
We are coming up on 60 years of marriage and have never once considered divorce. (Murder occasionally, but not divorce.) So I guess our brand of split personalities works.
Joan Rowden Hart, copyright February 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

EBOLA CZAR

     ·  Shared with Your friends My column from yesterday's LDR. WHERE IS OUR EBOLA CZAR? Has anyone seen our Ebola Czar? No, not Ron Klain. (Although no one has seen him yet either as I write this on Thursday afternoon. But more about that later.) But I’m talking about the one we have had since 2009. Her name is Dr. Nicole Lurie. She is an assistant secretary in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and her job is “to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters, ranging from hurricanes to bioterrorism.” Her job description is to help the country prepare for emergencies including the responsibility of developing “the countermeasures - the medicines or vaccines that people might need to use in a public health emergency”. She has been referred to as the “highest ranking federal official in charge of preparing the nation to face such health crises as earthquakes, hurrica