Skip to main content

Dinosaur Bones & Other Childish Dreams - original poem about Lorna

Dinosaur Bones and Other Childish Dreams
I threw away an old bone my granddaughters found while visiting last week. When mommy and daddy came to get them, little Lorna couldn’t wait to show them her dinosaur bone. The look on her little face when I told her I had thrown it away will haunt me forever. I learned my lesson that day. I will never destroy a child’s dream again, even if my coffee table gets covered with “dinosaur bones”.

The Dinosaur Bone

While playing in the yard last week she found an old bleached bone;
She brought it to me, so excited her little eyes just shone.
“This came from a dinosaur” she said. You’ve never seen such pride;
It was the find of her life for a four year old, her brown eyes open wide.

As the day wore on she laid it down; Other things got her attention.
I found it on my coffee table and decided not to mention
That it was left over from table scraps we'd had some weeks before
When a hungry dog had wandered by and stood outside our door.

My husband., feeling sorry for him , had grabbed a pork chop bone
From the table where we had eaten when he heard the poor dog’s moan.
When bedtime came and she recalled the excitement of her day
She went to look for her dinosaur bone but I had thrown it away.

Her chocolate eyes welled up with tears, her heart was no longer gay,
It was only a bone in the garbage can but I had thrown her dream away.
Our little ones are so precious; We must guard their childish dreams;
For growing up soon takes its toll as they learn life’s not all it seems.

So let them keep their dinosaur bones, let them be our treasure, too.
Imagination is a wonderful thing, It’s all in your point of view.
A pork chop bone or a fossil find, either one will do,
When seen through the eyes of a little child the beauty will still come through.

Copyright 2004 by Straight From The Hart

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion

  “Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age”..  (James Joyce) I’ve often been accused of being too passionate, of caring too much about certain things.  But I believe that  passion, also defined as fervor or zeal, is  one of the essential core values of human life, along with the Apostle Paul’s Biblical list of the virtues of faith, hope and charity.  Passionate people have strong opinions and usually articulate them very well.  We are also perfectionists, and we don’t handle incompetence in the public arena very well, all of which tend to preclude us from being the most popular person in the room.  I long ago accepted the fact that I won’t have the largest funeral in Lebanon, nor will my obituary make the front page. But not everyone seems to care that much about anything other than their own lives.  T.S. Eliot once said, “It is obvious that we can no more explain pas...

JOY OF READING

  JOY OF READING Written by Joan Rowden Hart I sit in my office and look at my treasure Stacked row upon row, the source of my pleasure There is wealth beyond measure everywhere that I look So many shelves, filled with book after book. So many words that tell so many stories So many volumes just full of God’s glory So many reminders of our history and then So many narratives of women and men Who have experienced life with all of its trials, And still write the words that will cause me to smile, Who have struggled with failure and rose up again And made me forget my own troubles and pain. So many thoughts, written with deep meditation Shared with those who will read with great contemplation Thoughts that I by myself could never create Are given to me in abundance so great Free for the taking, but not enough time To just sit and enjoy other’s thoughts so sublime. There’s so much to learn hidden deep in those tomes Of other men’s travels while we stay in our homes There is poetry and ...

LEARNERS

 LEARNERS People who love to learn don’t depend only on classrooms or professors. They seek answers for every question, their minds are always clouded with ‘how’ and ‘why’. They have innate desire to please their inner curiosity and dig deeper until their thirst for answer quenches. What would you call such a person? What would be a suitable expression or word for a person who has passion for searching, researching, learning new things and acquiring immense knowledge. Someone who questions everything, consistently look for answers and in turn learn with deep understanding.  Autodidact According to Oxford Dictionary it means “A self taught person.” Formed out of English word Auto (self) and Greek word didact (teach). In other terms, someone who has acquired knowledge or learned a subject without seeking help from a teacher or formal education institution.  Philomath According to Merriam-Webster it means “A lover of learning: scholar” especially a student of mathematics. ...