Skip to main content

Sarah's Memorial Day column

Relish opportunity to celebrate Fourth
There's a poem circulating on the Internet that has some e-mailers a-twitter, both pro and con. Detractors say it's pro-military, and/or lacks the perspective that all of us who champion freedom, in our own ways, have blazed trails, held the faith and otherwise acted to preserve our freedom. Another critic says that rights are inherent, and no one "gives" them to us.
Ohhhh-kaaaay. Tell that to the people of Darfur.

The poem's detractors are correct in that it takes all of us doing our respective jobs to remain a free people, to protect our Constitution. I'm just sorry more of us don't defend it more fiercely, especially screaming like wounded crows, to our elected representatives.

The poem printed above is by the late Father Denis Edward O'Brien, who was a chaplain in the U.S. Marine Corps.

I included the poem in the recent funeral of my brother, George Keeslar. He was a veteran of the Korean War, a radio operator on the battlefield who came back home to take up a "trade," as he called it, and never received any accolades for his service that I knew of. He didn't dwell on the two years devoted to what our leaders determined was in the best interests of our country; he just went and did his job as a soldier.

Other people his age, who didn't go into the armed forces, had a two-year head start on beginning their careers, making money, starting families and whatever else they chose to do. He came back with a "suck it up, it was my duty" attitude and a duffel bag, and began to plan from there.

I wanted the veterans' tribute read at my brother's funeral, first, in recognition of what he did, but second, with the hope this message would come through as well: "It is the soldier, not the reporter ... It is the soldier, not the campus organizer ... It is the soldier, not the poet ... ."
The words also resonate for all the things I didn't have to do when we were my brother's age, nor did most of my contemporaries, even through we were in the middle of the Vietnam War. I got to start college right on time and didn't have to give a moment of any kind of civilian service to my country, to have any function that spilled over to the soldiers fighting, or to anything but pursue my own self-interests.

I'm not sure it was a good thing. I was a war protester then, so sure of myself and the rightness of my ideas at age 18 and 19, the same age my brother was when he was fighting in Korea. Ideologies aside, I had to give nothing, and I believe it colored my view of the world: that it was a safe cocoon where there would be setbacks, but all I had to do was to weather them. Certainly not to sacrifice a couple of years of my life to go in a totally different direction than I was intent on going.

So, on this, another July 4, a day I look forward to as a chance to celebrate what we have achieved in this imperfect yet glorious country, I relish the opportunity to celebrate and honor our veterans as well as our founding fathers, who were one smart bunch of cookies.
If it were not for our soldiers, I would not have the right to write whatever profound, zany or off-the-wall poem I want. Those who choose can even write any obscene poem they want. If not for our soldiers, my freedom of speech might be limited to writing on a piece of napkin in a German work camp (although I have a feeling surviving Americans would have tapped out messages to each other and hatched a plan to take ourselves back).

Yes, it does take all of us to make this giant, only 231-year-old experiment work.
It's just that I realize I've always had someone watching my back, making sure I have the safety and freedom to do what the First Amendment grants me the right to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Near Death Testimony from Judge Larry Winfrey

Larry Winfrey has given me permission to share this testimony.   Grab a box of Kleenex and maybe a sweater for the cold chills you will get in the middle of it. "During my recent medical crisis, I was unconscious for two days. The following is what I experienced during that time. If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested in your thought. I am pasting what I have sent to others who have inquired. Thank you! Thank you for expressing interest in hearing what happened to me during the two days of unconsciousness, it has had a profound effect upon me. Whether real or imagined, or you believe it or not makes no difference, it will all depend on your relationship with God. Nor will it affect my appreciation for you. I could not breathe! I remember thinking I was dead and that I was not ready to die. I thought of my family. I did not see any bright light or passed loved ones. I did not see any angels enveloped in a holy penumbra. What I saw was Sata

LDR column published 05.09.12 - Jess Easley

Straight From The Hart By Joan Rowden Hart Jess  Easley , Lebanon Historian and StoryTeller I’ve been trying to trace a place called Railroad Pond from the early days of Lebanon.  Perhaps some of you “old-timers” will have more information, but I found a reference to it in Jess  Easley ’s recollections of Lebanon. Jess talked about skating on Railroad Pond when he was just a kid, and also working to cut ice on it during the cold winters that Lebanon experienced.  The grocery stores which had meat markets would hire people to cut ice from the pond to put in their ice house and store for the summer. Jess was one of Milan’s favorite customers when Milan started working at the barber shop with Fred Pitts in 1968, and he quickly became one of Milan’s mentors in collecting oral memories and memorabilia of Lebanon history. Jess was born in Lebanon in January of 1891, and died here on March 1, 1983 at the age of 92 , and had a good strong mind right up to the very end, so he had many memories

Anti-semetism

  Vandals knocked over and damaged at least 100 headstones at Mount Carmel Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia on February 27. The Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in St. Louis suffered major damage when more than 200 headstones were toppled and damaged by vandals also in February. After numerous headstones were desecrated at the Waad Hakolel Cemetery in Rochester, the Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester New York stated on its Facebook post, “In the past month alone, there have been more than 180 anti-Semitic incidents nationwide. We are deeply disturbed by rising acts of anti-Semitism across the country, including bomb threats made to Jewish community centers, Jewish day schools, and synagogues.” As of February 28 this year more than 100 threats have been called in to 77 Jewish Community Centers, eight Jewish schools and several advocacy offices like the Anti-Defamation League, around the country. In his address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday of last week, President Trump said